Sad news from this morning's GP

F1 News and Info

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Sad news from this morning's GP

Post by R.Wells »

rasputen wrote: Did you mean LEE DIFFEY WHO HAS TO SHOUT THE ENTIRE BROADCAST AND DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT A MICROPHONE IS?? :roll:
Yep, that Lee Diffey :roll:
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

BT46B
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by BT46B »

Eric and others make great points in being kind to Sam in light of his Parkinson's disease.
Though others have often maligned or marginalized him, I've never thought badly of the man and I am with those who appreciate his opening essays and run-ups to the Grands Prix. I don't recall him ever being drunk on the air as another member claims, maybe I missed that broadcast.
In my much younger days (teenager) I checked his book 'The Mudge Pond Express' out of my local library and read it with my attention held throughout. I've always thought him a pretty cool character and something of a Rennaisance man of a racing driver with this emotive and artistic interpretations and married to an artist. I bear no ill will against him and wish him the best in his fights for his health.
David
"Of all the pretenders who have come after my five World Championships, I felt only he had what it takes."
-- Juan Manuel Fangio speaking after the death of Ayrton Senna da Silva

Topic author
jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

BTW..I don't dislike Sam Posey the man or the racer. I just don't think he fits in. Essays don't blend well either. Some didn't like Dennis Miller on Monday Nite Football, other hated Howard Cosell. I do believe Varsha was the broadcast pro and the other two were there for color. Sam has his fans. If you like his writing, that's OK. My fear was the possibility of him replacing Varsha. Am I the only one who detected an almost mocking attitude by Hobbs and Machett ?

Not ready to fight over it though!
I assume you meant that in jest the same way my title was in jest. :wink:

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Fuel*Buzzed wrote:
rasputen wrote: Did you mean LEE DIFFEY WHO HAS TO SHOUT THE ENTIRE BROADCAST AND DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT A MICROPHONE IS?? :roll:
Yep, that Lee Diffey :roll:
At least Diffey doesn't talk out his arse like Varsha. I remember at least three time Varsha refered to Italy or the Italian GP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, while he was looking at a monitor showing INDIA. Yea BOB, they both start with "I", what a jacka!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

jmpsebring wrote:BTW..I don't dislike Sam Posey the man or the racer. I just don't think he fits in. Essays don't blend well either. Some didn't like Dennis Miller on Monday Nite Football, other hated Howard Cosell. I do believe Varsha was the broadcast pro and the other two were there for color. Sam has his fans. If you like his writing, that's OK. My fear was the possibility of him replacing Varsha. Am I the only one who detected an almost mocking attitude by Hobbs and Machett ?

Not ready to fight over it though!
I assume you meant that in jest the same way my title was in jest. :wink:

I think you are a little out of touch Jack. The only purpose for Sam being included on the broadcast was because it was the last one before Speed implodes. I think they said he would be on the last F1 Debrief this coming weekend as well. It is only a fitting gesture since he was there along with Hobbs in the beginning. I also think your outright haterid for the man is making you see things that just are not there. Machett and Hobbs were no more mocking of Sam then they are of that putts you like so much Varsha. :D

Topic author
jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

I think your right about that. It was all about being the last show. It is a fitting gesture. Plus for a few years, I freely admit to hitting the FF button when Sam speaks, if the remote is close by. Actually I FF right to the warm-up lap.
I'm not a huge Varsha fan either. But over the years he seem to do his homework. To me, he was always prepared. He had a different role as well- being the lead. My fave is Hobbs with all his faults. Any of the others could come or go.

BT46B
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by BT46B »

Hobbs provides the biggest entertainment value.
Varsha is OK and a reasonable voice of F1. I can't respect a man whose hair generates so much discussion and if he's looking to be the Separated At Birth Twin to the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator, he's succeeding.
Matchett has been a good addition to the team by technical observations and explanations. He also seems to have gotten over his overt expressions of love for Michael Schumacher though he still carries on over Ferrari a little too much in my opinion.
Posey used to be in the broadcast team years ago (early Speedvision and maybe ESPN?) and even then it seemed to me Hobbs was always a bit condescending to him. His opening essays seemed to serve as a splash of color commentary and, for some in the audience, build the excitement and hype of what was to come.
"Of all the pretenders who have come after my five World Championships, I felt only he had what it takes."
-- Juan Manuel Fangio speaking after the death of Ayrton Senna da Silva

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

jmpsebring wrote:My fave is Hobbs with all his faults. Any of the others could come or go.
I would agree with that. Anyone who can coin the phrase, "Large Attachments", on national TV and get away with it has got a free pass in my book. Anyone slow to play along, that means, "Big Balls". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Something you would not get away with saying on US television. :D :D :D

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

We don't get the pleasure of Messers Varsha and co. here, but I long for the days when it was Murray Walker and James Hunt doing the commentary.
There's been countless occasions where Murray got all excited during a race, and he was once described as " a man who talks like his pants are on fire..."

Those were the days... :lol:

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I haven't kept up with Posey's career so I had no idea he was ill. My apologies for commenting on his vocal quality. :oops:

I'm a Varsha fan. It's an unwritten US sports broadcasting role that somebody has to play the straight man, somebody gets to tell jokes, and if there's a third person in the booth then he or she is the expert commentator. I think that Varsha has done an excellent job of being the host all these years and I will miss him.