MFH BT55

Kit reviews

Topic author
drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

MFH BT55

Post by drledford93 »

Has anyone bought this and/or built it and care to review it? I'd like to hear what some of you guys have to say about it. It's on my list of possibilities and I'd like to hear or see some pics, outside of what's on MFH's site.

Thanks!

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Re: MFH BT55

Post by allnie »

A serious review takes hours to produce. But I can tell you that the kit is SUPERB.
Much, much better than the old MFH BT55.
Lots of carbon decals. Endless number of parts. I know the car did not work. But technically is is super interesting and
the kit really gives you the possibility to analyse and understand the (over)complex construction.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Alex0077
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Alex0077 »

Allan, may be you know if possible to buy carbon decals for old kit separatly?
Or it is don't make sense for old kit?

AeroDee
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by AeroDee »

Drledford

I own MFH kit K-295 BT-55 kit and the old MFH kit.. and I can tell you upfront that there is a big difference between the two. the new kit is more scale like in thickness and has more detail hands down. Right now im focused on the BT-52B on my desk, but I took some time to look at the engine of the BT-55 new Vs old and while I found the engine in the new kit to be much better than the old. There is still room for improvement. the throttle linkage and some wiring is missing then again this is the case so far on most MFH full detail 1/20 kits I have seen here. So if you need photos of this kit or have some other questions feel free to ask. As a matter a fact If I have the time tonight I may lay out a few parts side by side of the old kit Vs the new so you can see for yourself. over all I would recommend this Kit to a fan of the BT-55

AeroDee
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by AeroDee »

OK guy I dont have a bunch of time on my hands tonight but I managed to get a few shots together and here they are .. you can see the difference in quality with just one look. the full metal kit looks dated and like a lot of work . Parts are very thick and the kit is very heavy. where the new kit has fine detail and very crisp.. I will build the old kit one day soon just to say I did it .. but the new kit is the one to get if you really like this car.. :D

Aero Dee
Attachments
back up 2 1144.jpg
back up 2 1162.jpg
back up 2 1153.jpg
back up 2 1171.jpg

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I have the old Treasure Hunt BT55 kit. Does anyone know if the old MFH kit is the same as the Treasure Hunt version? From the photos posted, they sure do look similar, with white metal castings for the bodies.
Does the old MFH BT55 have photo etch?

Is there any relation between the two companies? It seems that Treasure Hunt disappeared a while ago, before MFH became really popular.

I can post photos of the kit contents if helpful.

kww

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

keithwwalker wrote:I have the old Treasure Hunt BT55 kit. Does anyone know if the old MFH kit is the same as the Treasure Hunt version? From the photos posted, they sure do look similar, with white metal castings for the bodies.
Does the old MFH BT55 have photo etch?

Is there any relation between the two companies? It seems that Treasure Hunt disappeared a while ago, before MFH became really popular.

I can post photos of the kit contents if helpful.

kww

I have the old version aswell, for sale btw, and on the box of mine it says MFH, S27 and Treasure Hunt, so from which companie it realy is, I don't know.
A combination of all 3 I gues.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I will check my box tonight, but I believe it says Treasure Hunt and there is a S27 identifier somewhere on the packaging. I think S27 made the kit for Treasure Hunt, and possibly MFH when they started out.
To round out the discussion, Zaco also did a BT55 according to the F1M database....

UPDATE:
Checked my box and there is the MFH logo on it, so the kit is identical to the old MFH above.