3MD Wheels - impressed! (pic heavy)

Kit reviews

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

3MD Wheels - impressed! (pic heavy)

Post by MoFo »

I've got a Tamiya MP4/4 w. the Top Studio set underway. The plastic wheels seemed a bit of a letdown compared to all that etched and resin goodness, so I've been hunting around for some metal replacements. AZRM do some that look really nice, but I was swayed to try the 3MD wheels by some of their extras. Forgive me, Mac. :) And, since I haven't seen all that much about 3MD on-line, I thought I'd do a pic-heavy review for anyone else considering a set. They've got a new batch of subjects out, including late-80's Ferraris and Bennettons, so I'm sure we'll be be seeing them used a lot more often.

TL;DR: they're good stuff.

3MD's wheels are turned/machined aluminium, which is then powdercoated, so they're ready to use straight from the box. There's a generic fret of etched brass washers, used to help support the hub; a generic fret of screws/washers, used to...??? (wheel weights, I'm guessing, though no mention is made of them in the instructions); plus a small sheet of nicely printed wheel marking decals. Interesting to note, the instruction sheet was printed showing a pair of resin camera pods, but these have been redacted with a marker and are NOT included in the box.

Set arrives in a peggable cardboard box. The product image is glued on, so they can use the same basic boxes for all their wheels. Nothing terribly fancy:

Inside, all the metal bits are separated into their own little ziploc baggies. Nice touch that keeps the powder coating clean:

Size of the front and rear. They seemed so small when I opened the box (though they ARE properly sized) - I've been eyeing the set for months, and looking at larger-than-life photos since last year, so finally getting the actual wheels, they seemed so... puny. :)
Image Image

The disc press-fit into a rim. There seems to be a very slight gap, but I suspect a light sanding of the front corners of the hub will eliminate any interference. A dab of CA should lock things in place. Also, I'll mention here... some of the photos I've seen make it look like there's a sort of "wavy" texture on the flat, bolt-patterned portion of the disc. There isn't. You can see some *slight* traces of tool marks, but it's really subtle - you'll basically only see if it you look at *just* the right angle, in *just* the right light, under magnification. For some reason, it's more visible in photos than in real life.

Rear of the discs are nice and clean. Handy if you'll be doing a wheels-off display:

The set includes working wheel nuts. The axles are a looser fit to the disc, so they'll definitely have to be epoxied in place. I'm assuming they're sized to fit Tamiya's standard pegs, but haven't bothered checking. Worth noting: the wheel nut is bevelled on the rear, which helps locate and centre it snugly to the discs. The axles themselves are nice. They're bored out, per the real thing, with tapered tips (which is more accurate than the Top Studio items). Best of all, and not readily apparent in most pics, they're actually machined with the proper lock pin slots, visible *just* ahead of the threading. Seriously impressed.
Image Image Image

There's also a set of nicely machined air valves. (one of the main features that drew me to these wheels over Mac's) The rims have a corresponding hole, though it's ever-so-slightly too small. It will need enlarged slightly to fit the valves - I'm thinking it would be a really, really bad idea to force the valve into place, since you don't want it sproinging off into nowhere as you carefully attach it to your wheels!
Image Image

...and the decals/PE. I'm not quite sure what the PE bolts and washers are for. They seem to be too large to fit into the wheel's bolt holes, and they're not mentioned in the instructions, though they seem to be a standard inclusion for all 3MD's wheel sets. Oh well, they'll certainly be a useful addition to the spare parts bin.
Image Image

Speaking of, here's the instructions:

Now, the big question: how do they work with the Top Studio set? That was my main concern, and I'm pleased to report... perfectly fine. In fact, the wheel nuts have basically the same thread (there's a *tiny* bit of friction putting TS's nuts on 3MD's hub), so the 3MD nuts will mount on the TS axle no problem. Unfortunately, since the Top Studio axles screw into their brakes, you can't substitute the 3MD axles (at least, not without a bunch of work). That's a pity, as I think 3MD's axle is more accurate, but not a shock. It also means you can use the 3MD wheels, with the Top Studio brakes, and have a spare set of axles for another kit. Oh, also... some of the 3MD sets have powder coated wheel nuts (red and blue). This one doesn't. Anyway, on to the pics. Brass parts are Top Studio, Steel(?) are from 3MD:
Image Image Image

And finally, in case anyone's wondering, why bother with these in the first place? They're a lot sharper than the kit parts. They're also cleaner, and save some tedious, annoying clean up of the rear faces. Compare the metal wheels to the kit parts:
Image Image Image

So... worth it? I think so. They were about $45 from Hobby Easy, and I don't have any problems with that price. I've seen them for nearly double that at other on-line shops (coughHLJcough), and that's getting into crazyland, but for $45, I think you've got enough extra stuff to justify the premium over Mac's wheels. I wouldn't use them on every model, but for a detailed build, or a favourite subject, they are nicely done.
Je ne regrette rien.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 3MD Wheels - impressed! (pic heavy)

Post by jordan »

Wow..looks great.Only one important thing : The wheels you show are clearly made out of 2 pieces and everyone should know that the McLaren wheels are 1 piece wheels.The assembled 3MD wheel will always show that the centerpart is divided from the rim itself and that is
a real mistake if you ask me..? Bottom line: the stock kit wheel still looks better to me... :?

Just my 2 cents,
Alex Nahooy.

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

gotta agree with Mr Nahooy- great wheels, not the best match? plus the darn things are semi-matte black; on the shelf there sort of invisible..

H
Attachments
macwheel.jpg
macwheel.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

So that's what's in those very pricey 3MD boxes. Now we all know. Thanks for the review!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Are you sure these are not Anodized as oppossed to Powder Coated?

Mac actually was think about carrying these but decide against it for a number of reasons. One of which was the uneven surface finish on the set he got as a sample. I do not mean to say the machined surface was uneven but rather the shine on the surface. If I remeber correctly the wheel rim was kind of a matt finsh while the wheel center was a gloss finish. Kind of defeted the purpose of a pre finished wheel assembly when the two main and most visable parts of the assembly did not match in the level of shine.

I don't mean to bag on your review and I sincerly hope that when you get finished with your build that these work out for you but I think Mac's wheels (Anodized Studio 27 wheels) would have been a better choice if you can still get them, not sure if Mac still has these available or not. I also agree with Alex that it will be hard to make a two piece metal wheel look like a one piece metal wheel without filling the seam. I for one do not see the point in spending money on metal wheels unless they are correcting a problem with the intended kit's wheels, providing an option that otherwise is not available, or they are used in a natural finish application such as a polished wheel. No need for expensive metal wheels when a painted plastic wheel will work out just fine.

Thank you for the review though, it is nicely done. :D :D

EDIT: Mac actually does carry these wheels so he must have changed his mind or had too many orders to not carry them. They do seem expensive though even for Mac who is usually priced to compete with the Japanese. At $70.00 USD per set they make me feel really good about the wheels I make and sell :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

I also prefer the 1-piece look of the plastic kit rims, but in every other way the 3MD wheels look very nice. Thanks for posting a great review

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Yeah, they're 2-piece but a bit of filler and a coat of satin black and they should be fine. More importantly though, it's an example of the sort of thing you can expect from a 3MD wheel set. As Eagle50 said, that's what's in the box.

The quick stuff first: I said powder coat but you're right, they are probably anodized. Basically though, hard, black, not-easily-scratched finish. :lol: Also, it's pretty even on mine. There was a small spot on the inside of one rim, but it seems to scratch off easily with a fingernail (the spot - not the finish). I saw Mac's newsletter and was a little worried; my example is fine.

Comparing to references... the discs sit back too far. I'm pretty confident that it's a *tiny* amount of interference that's keeping them out of place, and they've only got to come forward 1/2mm or so. It does take the lustre off the set, but it should be an easy fix. Disappointing? Yes. Will I toss them? No.

WRT accuracy... 3MD's decals are for Speedline wheels, but my refs show the car used Dymags. :?: 3MD uses the same discs for the front and rear wheels. This is wrong. Most notably, the rear wheels only have six holes around the wheel nut (mounting lugs?), while the fronts have twelve. 3MD have twelve all around. So does S27/Mac (I didn't realize they were the same), and Tamiya. So all four are wrong.
Image via Top Studio

Image via Top Studio
There's also some shape issues around the ring of holes. On the real front wheels, this area is flat/vertical. 3MD is right. S27/Mac, and Tamiya have it following the same angle as the dished spokes. On the actual rear wheels, this area is dished inwards. 3MD is flat (wrong). S27 follows the same angle as the spokes (wrong - but better). Tamiya *seems* to be dished inwards... but the hole details are so soft, it's kinda hard to tell. For the actual holes, I think both 3MD and S27 are too small. Tamiya is better, though their edges are soft.

Also worth noting, the S27 wheels have raised hubs (meant to simulate the nut?). These would have to be milled away in order to work with the Top Studio set. In which case, it's either milling the face of S27 to remove the nut/hub, or the back of the 3MD to correct the fit.

Oh, and I believe Mac *does* still have a set of the MP4/4 wheels. It was an extra that he had, and needed to do... something... to them(? mill the edges?) . So for anyone that's interested, drop him a line, since his look good too. If your choices are $30 for Mac's vs. $70+ for 3MD, it's a no brainer - get Mac's. But factoring in shipping, these weren't much more than Mac's would have been, and I thought the extra decals, etch and valve stems would be worth it.

As for metal vs. plastic... I totally agree, in most cases, the kit parts are fine. There's nothing really wrong with Tamiya's rims. But I figured, if I'm doing a big, involved build with the Top Studio set, why not throw some new wheels at it, too. :)
Je ne regrette rien.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I also agree with the ones saying that the stock kit wheels are good enough.
Sometimes we even like parts to look as they are machineed (or grinded or whatever) when logical tells it shouldn't be noticeable.
I tend to give more value to what can be appreciated from half meter distance, and correct shape is.
Lately I've had a lot of contact with AFV modelers: I am surprised how popular turned gin barrels are when sometimes machining is too obvious (false in scale) and you can get the same result with the plastic part by poking it into the dremel and sanding it... ;-)