WIP Tamiya Honda RA 273

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Re: WIP Tamiya Honda RA 273

Post by billgtp »

Just great

Topic author
Whytes
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Whytes »

Cheers guys ! Hopefully it wont be too long now theres just mainly the engine, wheels and tyres to finish. Tho looking some photos theres lots to do on the engine :shock: plus theres other models just waiting to be looked at !!

Topic author
Whytes
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Whytes »

Hello peeps. Another 2 months have raced by and there has been much tinkering going on in the engine bay. I made the fuel lines from stretched clear heat shrink sleeving with some light brown ink sucked up them to give them that fuel stained look. Rather than just put the fuel lines straight into the engine i made up the small right angled connectors for the fuel lines to go onto all coming from the remade fuel pump. Next i scratch built the little water pump and mount for it out of styrene bits. The pipes are the outer bits of electrical wire and the straps holding them together are made from thin strips of black electrical tape. I also turned the throttle cable wheel and made the mount for it from 0.5mm styrene sheet. The cable its self is the inner wire from the electrical wire used for the water pipes. Then there's lots of little bits i scratch built like the heat shielding above the fuel pump, the brackets on the little tank on top of the gear box,the 2 pipes that run on top of the engine, the starter bit thing on the right of the gear box and the mounts for the rear anti roll bar.
Dare i say i am on the home straight now, but the home straight maybe fairly long !! :shock:
Attachments
fuel pump.jpg
fuel connector.jpg
water pump close up.jpg
model 059.jpg
water hoses.jpg
model 060.jpg
rear.jpg

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Absolutely fantastic :D !! I love that you will use everyday items to scratchbuild, in addition to your fine machining work. Looking forward to seeing more!
Cheers,
Chris

medihummer
Formula e
Formula e

Post by medihummer »

waw fabulous wip

can you explain where you connected the waterlines?
in the front you connected one to the radiator but what about the 2 others? it seems like you connected them in front of the left cylinder row
at the rear you connected one to the square pump and what about the other

the 2 metal tubes. where did you start them? one you connected to the tank on the gearbox the other is the fuel lin to the pump i suppose?

thanks for sharing the great pictures and the very nice detailing

Topic author
Whytes
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Whytes »

Cheers guys. Im all ways on the look out for everyday bits that i could use in model making. I'm an avid hoarder of little bits and bobs .

As for the water lines , don't tell anyone, but they don't go anywhere I'm afraid ! yes one goes to the little radiator on top and the other 2 i just curled them between the back of the engine and the bulkhead. As long as you don't look from underneath then you cant see the ends of the pipes. At the other end one is on to the square pump and again i just tucked the other pipe underneath that pump.
The 2 metal tubes on top are just bent down at the bulk head again you can only see the ends if you look underneath, and yes one tube (tube 1) is connected to the tank on the gearbox the other (tube 2) is bent up and over the rocker cover where the word Honda is and is connected with some braided hose to the fuel pump. see pic below.

As long as you cant see the bare ends of pipes then i think that is ok using a bit of model makers licence.
Attachments
model 041.jpg

medihummer
Formula e
Formula e

Post by medihummer »

OK thank you for your honest reply. Still you did a fantastic job.

It is strange that there are almost no detailed pictures available from the RA272 and RA273. After 40 years i don't expect there to be some technical secrets any more so I don't understand why Honda is so protective about these cars.