WIP 1/43 Audi R8 Crocodile

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Jaz
F3
F3

WIP 1/43 Audi R8 Crocodile

Post by Jaz »

Having completed the BBR Mercedes CLK, Original-Teile, where 90% of the body is covered by decals, I figured, what the heck, go for 100%! I was intrigued by the Colorado decals rendition of the Crocodile R8 and purchased a Provence Moulage Audi R8, K1658B along with the decals from Grand Prix. The PM kit body represents the car with the "fatter" area behind the front wheels. The Croc car had a narrower area behind the front wheel. There are numerous photos of the car available on the web that I used for reference.

The louvered fenders were spares taken from a Marsh Audi R10. Of note, when comparing the two kits, there was a noticeable difference in size between the R8 and R10, with the R10 being larger. Digging through reference material, the actual cars are very close dimensionally, the biggest difference being in the wheel base. After measuring out the kit bodies, it appears the R10 is a little big, 1/42 or so and the R8 is a little small, 1/45.

I photocopied the decals and made paper templates to determine how much material I needed to remove. I re-shaped the area with plasticard and body filler. One more coat of white paint and I can begin decaling.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Re: WIP 1/43 Audi R8 Crocodile

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

looking good so far. very interested in your progress.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi . Love this kind of decal job and it,s a kit on my wish list in 1/24th.(Anybody out there with one for sale!)
A word of caution with Colorado decals,they are thick and split easy, also avoid very strong softners.
Good luck with the build.
Alexp.

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

Yup, great subject...built it in 1/24 a few years ago.