MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Ford GT40, Fujimi, 1/24

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Hi

this time I built an old sports car, the 68 LeMans winner, driven by Bianchi and Rodriguez.

This is the old Fujimi kit, quite easy to build, maybe I should glue on the cowling; as there is nothing below, there's not much point in having it open and the small gap would disappear. The only problem were the decals - I had an old kit, where they crumbled. I could save the small logos with Liquid Decal Film, but I had to draw the black lines and numbers and have them printed (luckily I had another project at the same time, where I modified/repainted a die cast Bentley GT3 to represent a virtual race car I drove in simracing, so I had to print some decals anyway).
Painted with airbrush, TS12 orange, blue was mixed by rule of thumb from TS15,14 and 26, Mr. Hobby Clear on top. I only added belts and replaced the lower front lights with some from the parts box, since with the originals I could not get the cover to fit over them.

Hope you like it.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Re: Ford GT40, Fujimi, 1/24

Post by F1tommy »

You did a nice job. Hachette did a 1/24th scale diecast of this car in their subscription series in France that has a much more accurate body. The roof on the Fujimi GT40's is to low among other errors. The Hachette model also has much better tires and wheels.

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Looks cool, I like it!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Great job as always. Since the Ford vs. Ferrari movie came out, the asking prices on ebay have doubled. I'm not falling for it though, have one in my stash for the correct price and am willing to wait for prices to normalize. Indycals has about a dozen options for these kits, and I plan on getting 2 or 3 different ones. Just wish I could find a Gulf Blue in a rattle can. But enough about me, I've always admired your work!

Edit: Any tips on painting all those silver grommets in the seats?
Another edit: I wonder if Michael @ Indycals would consider adding a decal to apply to the seats? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, and I believe it would be quite popular.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Very nice, clean build!!

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Thanks!
Edit: Any tips on painting all those silver grommets in the seats?
I hand painted all of them, using Aquacolor silver. I then did a little washing with diluted black to make the centers dark again for those where my painting was not exact enough. Having a few high quality brushes is always a good idea for this kind of work.

I'm not sure if decals would work because the grommets are a bit sunk in and I would not want to align one decal over the recesses; you would have to fill them with putty to get a clean surface before, or use dozens of single decals...