WIP - E-Jan Maserati MC12 (For Sergey)

Le Mans, Trans-Am, road racing, etc.

Topic author
czarneckims
Formula e
Formula e

WIP - E-Jan Maserati MC12 (For Sergey)

Post by czarneckims »

Thanks to Sergey, I ended up with a kit that I've been wanting for a long time, the Maserati MC12. It's taken some time (apologies Sergey) but here's a start on the kit...

I will say that the E-Jan kit is absolutely, hands down, one of the best resin castings that I have EVER seen. Absolutely gorgeous...

A couple of caveats - I respect all of the work that the talented builders do here on F1M. I also realize the constraints imposed by the time/space/wife continuum. Bottom line, I build in a manner to get kits finished in time measurements shorter than decades. So, while I'd love to attempt one of the immaculate carbon fibered beauties I see here, you'll just have to make do with my somewhat limited abilities...

First a few pics of the multi piece chassis - it is currently wearing a base coat of Tamiya NATO Black - I prefer to use a few different shades of dark gray and black to provide some representation of depth on the assembled chassis. Eventually this will receive a 2K gloss overcoat.

Next a picture of the body with a couple of the white metal parts attached, the metal parts are in primer. They fit with very minor tweaking, but will require some filler to blend in. The interior of the body is again in Tamiya NATO Black. In all likelihood, the body interior will receive a coat of Semi-Gloss Clear to replicate the sheen of non-clearcoated Carbon Fiber. Other interior parts will receive darker shades of gray and black. Again - I cannot overstate the quality of the body casting - it literally took all of 2 minutes to clean up. Ultimately, the body will be covered in the Zero MC12 blue included in the picture.

These are the primed white metal parts. They were cleaned using a magnetic polisher and primed with automotive gray primer.

Finally, as I was researching the MC12, it appears the seat and the upper surface of the dash panel were covered (at least part of the time) in a medium blue alcantara-like material. So, I figured let's give it a shot with some blue embossing powder...

Thanks again to Sergey - I can't promise a quick build, but I sure can promise that this kit WILL get built.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: WIP - E-Jan Maserati MC12 (For Sergey)

Post by SebLeung »

Good start - Seat looks great!

There's absolutely no shame in doing the level of detail that works for you, at the end of the day you're building it for yourself. In my opinion, even an OOB completed model beats a shelved, half-completed full detail model.

Can't wait to see what comes of this!
http://www.f1modelling.com

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Happy to see your progress. Love this car.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great start, and there's no shame in producing a clean, simple build; not every build has to be a super-detailed project. And thanks to Lezdep for his initiative to get more WIP's on the forum.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Great update! I've realized lately that if there is any chance of me finishing my pile of models, I need to prioritize which ones I want to detail and which are going to be curbside/have even lower detail. Most of the time after I complete a model, I never even open the hood/trunk, so it doesn't make sense to spend 20 hours detailing an engine I'll never see again.