another Mp 4/2

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

another Mp 4/2

Post by mr68gts »

Well, yet another Mp4/2 build. Going to be a very long project just because I hope to have a bunch of correct parts printed such as the brake parts and such.
First 2 of many parts are drawn up. I' m not sure if they will even be printable yet. (I can draw up what ever I want but printable is a different story lol)
I have to engineer all this stuff as I go which adds to the time also.
Paul

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: another Mp 4/2

Post by Eagle50 »

Nice CAD skills. Looks like an interesting project. So.., you're making 3D printed updates for a 1/20 Aoshima / Beemax MP4/2?

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Chris,
That's correct. The kit is excellent but I tend to be a fanatic when it comes to accuracy so I go beyond. I enjoy pushing the envelope.

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Master cylinder is finished. I'll have to draw up the reservoir and cap for it along with the boot. Of course there's 3 of them
See what happens. The rotors are being printed already. The rotor hats need a bit of modifying to be printable.
Paul

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Will the files be available for others? Interested to see how they look. The brakes were about the biggest let down of the kit.

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Not at this time only because there's still quite a bit of engineering going on. I've got to adapt the brakes to the existing kit spindles for those not wanting to update anything other than the brakes.(I am actually going to work on the spindle hub parts also but that would be for me.) Once I get it figured out I could make them available. It all depends on how well the parts print. Most of my parts are done in the ultra or extreme detail since there's a lot of fine detail in the 3d model which adds expense.
I'm trying to figure out what calipers they used and see if I can locate a print of some sort for them which is the next step.
Bigasshammm wrote:Will the files be available for others? Interested to see how they look. The brakes were about the biggest let down of the kit.

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Still need to draw the boots for the master cylinders and the clutch reservoir but its close and now shapeways is going though their checks to see if it's even printable.

Preludevenom
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Preludevenom »

?planning of issuing a super detail set ? :P

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Only if it's 3d printed lol. I don't mind making the parts available but I don't want to get into resin casting and production work. Too many variables involved with that and this way my fun hobby stays fun. Letting Shapeways deal with the production, orders, shipping and payments takes me out of the equation and if there is a problem they deal with it. :D
Preludevenom wrote:?planning of issuing a super detail set ? :P
There's a few corrections to be made to the master cylinders themselves. Looks like I am going to have to close up the holes and put bolts on them which should take care of it.

Paul

Topic author
mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

Since I'm going through all the trouble to detail the brakes in the kit I cut the nose off. There is actually some sub structure in there that is missing in the kit. You can just make it out in the reference pics uploaded on the site. I will add the nose substructure and then once the monocoque is done add the pop riveted cover back on. (Photoetch) Master Cylinder set is done and at shapeways and passed the initial inspections . As soon as I have a bit extra funds I will order them up. I hope to add the pedal bracketry behind the foward bulkhead also.
First step under way.....