Beemax MP4

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Beemax MP4

Post by slicky »

Hi all,

taking the plunge and going to do a WIP. I was inspired by the build by bigasshamm and with all of your folks help hopefully will get a great result. Be warned speed of build is glacier!

I have purchased decals and the etch set and it all looks very good. I will not bore you with the pictures as this is something that you have all seen before.

Here we go and the first question is.
Are the etch parts and enhancement to the kit parts or a replacement? Looking at the hooks for the tail jack these surely cannot just be for laying over the top of the kit parts. The nose come is another case in point, surely better to remove the plastic and put on the etch part.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: Beemax MP4

Post by Bigasshammm »

Nose cone parts are meant to lay over the existing plastic. I started to remove the plastic on mine and it looked and fit terribly. The majority of the etch is meant to replace though. I did overlay the radiator screens no sense removing them.

Look forward to this.

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

I have decided to order one of these to assist with the build

Komakai--McLaren-MP4-2-Ultra-Detail-Guide-model

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

While waiting for my detail book to arrive. I have actually got round to doing something! I have started to fill in some of the ejector pins marks on parts. I use superglue (crazy glue)and just get a blob in there and you wait to dry and then file the bump down. Using super glue you can be more exact with the application than filler, in my opinion. Also great for sink mark in the head rest as well. I can take no credit for this technique as is something that I picked up from Tamiya Magazine and the MP4/13 build that Marcus Nicholls did many years ago. Perhaps the one good thing I got out of rupturing my Achilles tendon!

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

Ah! a picture
Attachments
002.jpg

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

Superglue gone and the strange triangles on the floor plan. these will be replaced using the etch replacements.
Attachments
001.JPG

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Slow and sure progress. Kinda' like me. No problem with taking your time.

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

Not a lot done as a rubbish week at work :cry: , but it pays for the things i like to do!

Was in Birmingham and managed to pick up some Micro sol and set also some superglue that will not fog. I want this for attaching the etch to the model over decals etc. Anyone had a chance to use it and does it work?

On the bright side, weather will be rubbish this weekend so will get a chance to stay indoors and get some modelling done, hopefully

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

slicky wrote:...superglue that will not fog. I want this for attaching the etch to the model over decals etc. Anyone had a chance to use it and does it work?
Honestly a drop of Tamiya acrylic X22 works for this :)

Topic author
slicky
F2
F2

Post by slicky »

Good tip thank you