BeeMax McLaren MP4/2 Lauda - complete

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

BeeMax McLaren MP4/2 Lauda - complete

Post by Bigasshammm »

Well the three month journey is over. Originally this was to be built for my club's contest a couple weeks ago as Prost's car. The theme was French so therefore Prost. Anyway scheduling issues got in the way and I wasn't able to
Make that meeting or probably get the model done in time so I changed it to Lauda's car and I'm calling it from the Dallas GP. From pics online that's the closest representation I can see to the kit configuration and having Mboro markings.

On to the kit. Brand new kit and you expect it to be perfect and I can say I have no complaints. There's a lot of pin marks like Tamiya kits but otherwise everything's nice. The detail set is also very nice with either a ton of extra things or not a good instruction manual to tell you what everything is for. Either way it's well engineered and thought out and goes together great. None of the body is glued on except the small triangles at the rear suspension. I can get a near perfect body fit if I take the sides off and add them to the main body before putting it on the shell.

Aside from the detail set I tried to add as much wiring as I could from pics I found online. This is the first time I've extensively wired a kit. I think it turned out pretty good. Maybe some room to improve.
Paints were Tamiya TS-26 decanted for the white. Scale Finishes RAL red and TS-13 clear. Decals were the kit decals with Mboro markings added from a Tabu set that was designed for a curbside model. Hence no white lettering for the monocoque.

Anyway I have no good camera or skills to take pictures so hope these show it well enough.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

More...

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: BeeMax McLaren MP4/2 Lauda - complete

Post by Bigasshammm »

Couple more...

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

I made simple sawhorses to hold the body up but don't really like the way they look. So should I display them like this...

Or inside the body like this...

Then I got a frame and added some of my
Carbon fibre vinyl to make the display base for it. I may still add the data plate the detail set came with and maybe another detail or two if I come up with it. This is mostly for the show I'm going to Sunday.

Well that's it. Hope you all enjoy. If you see anything I missed or left out let me know. Especially before Sunday!

Kris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Fantastic result Kris....great job! :D

Cheers, H

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Really great work. I love the result!

Jordan

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Kris,

I've enjoyed reading your WIP, you've given us a very good read as well as highlighting what looks to be a very good kit out of the box.
The completed car is a very good result. It looks better when displayed on the CF base.
Good luck with the competition.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Looks really nice and I like your carbon fibre base too, adds a nice touch to the finished model :)
Steve Noble

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Glad to see an EXCELLENT build!! :D Not so glad to see the isues with the numbers. Obviously the ones on wing endplates are a bit too big, but the one on the nose is far too small... :? Reason? Is fixable?
Sorry to spoil the party. But a really, really great job!! :D

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Looks great. Enjoyed watching your WIP. Think you are the first MP4/2 I've seen finished. As for the numbers being too small, other builders could steal from a Tamiya MP4/8 decal sheet if they have one spare. They may be the correct size.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

JamesB wrote:Glad to see an EXCELLENT build!! :D Not so glad to see the isues with the numbers. Obviously the ones on wing endplates are a bit too big, but the one on the nose is far too small... :? Reason? Is fixable?
Sorry to spoil the party. But a really, really great job!! :D

I did think the nose number was too small and coincidentally it's not the kit decals. I used one of Indycals fluo numbers for it. But it was the same size as what's offered in the kit. Did the numbers change at all? Maybe for the British GP the nose was smaller? Since that's the gp the kit represents.

The rear wing numbers look about right to me. Not too big that I think they'd need changed. Heck at this point I probAbly won't do anything about the nose either but maybe if I can find an alternative.

Thanks all.