Beemax MP4/2 w detail set

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: Beemax MP4/2 w detail set

Post by Bigasshammm »

All of the monocoque decals are on. What do you think? I think it's too brown especially in the gas tank area. I may spray some smoke over that area and leave the seat and front part for contrast.

Also the seat decals didn't turn out very good. Hopefully the belts hide them but oh well.

Eager to get back to work on it. I've got the nose primed now that I have paint again. Will be working on it and other body pieces as I do other things.

K

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

I think the monocoque decals look great, although, I think they would benefit from being toned down a bit with a couple of dark washes and maybe a light flat clear coat to knock back some of the shine. But, that's just my opinion :wink:

For the seat, maybe you could cover the gaps with some more cf decal to give it a layered weave look?? Although, as you said, most will be hidden by the belts.

Looking forward to your next update :D

Cheers, H

h.kruithof
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Harm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Emerson Fittipaldi
Netherlands

Post by h.kruithof »

Two Japanese on FB are building this kit right now. One of them Akihiro Kamimura.You can check out God dwells in small things, his website, to see the refinements he's doing.. For inspiration!

Harm

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Lookin' good, Big. And yeah, as Harm says, it often helps to see what others have done, even if it only gives you different ideas.

Cheers, Chris

amszterpeter
Formula e
Formula e

Post by amszterpeter »

My unit is in HLJ's virtual warehouse. Can't wait to get it.
Your postings are excellent and I intend to use them with the instruction sheet when assembling the unit.
You are doing a great job. Thank you.
Peter

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Small progress. My knee decided to blow up like a balloon so I've not come downstairs much last couple weeks. This all happened while I was on vacation of course so I couldn't even blame my job.

Anyway sprayed some smoke on the tank area. Maybe too much but I like it. I should have maybe done a small amount on the front part but I think I'll put a wash over that to tone it down. I also sprayed everything with semigloss clear which took the sheen off the decals. I'm happy with it.

I wanted to do this in Mboro markings and I got some Tabu fill ins that I think we're made for a St27 kit. My problem being they don't have the white Mboros for on the gas tank. Anyone have a spare few or know where I can get some?

Slowly working suspension parts. Spraying and detail painting. I'm also having an issue with painting the body. (I hate white) I'm going to try to find yet another type of paint and see. Good thing the body can basically be last.

Onwards...

K

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Nice to see this coming together so soon after release.

Are these decals any good? Not out yet, I think they are done specially for the Beemax MP4/2.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10336698

Malc.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Yea those look like they'd work. The ones I have are older Tabu decals that say for the MP4/2 and must be for a curbside kit. So they have all the body Mboros but none of the white ones for the monocoque on the inside.

I may just ignore it if I can't find anything or buy a whole new set from somewhere and use these on a separate project. Problem is I have two sets of these.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

The body CF looks good, very good. I like the way the different patterns and slightly different CF colours offset each other. This will be a realistic car, Big.

You've already got two sets of BoroMarl decals for a S27 MP4/2? That's thinking ahead. But if some are missing, and Tabu has just released a set last week, then more aftermarket decals are sure to follow. With all the pre-sales publicity that kit received, I'll bet D'artifice and Shunkyo will have their own versions out in two months. Then you can pick and choose.

Cheers, Chris

goodyear
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by goodyear »

Looking good ,I probably start mine in the winter months to come .
MSM creation has released decals for protar Mclaren mp4/2C don't now if they are available for 20th scale ?

autocolor has released a set http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/page/data_i ... 20003A.jpg