Events related to scale modeling, F1, or other racing series

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

pics: Capelli, Johansson & P.L. Martini @ Adelaide MotorFest

Post by Jeff »

Hi everyone,
some pics from the Adelaide Motorsport Festival from last weekend. Former F1 drivers Stefan Johansson, Ivan Capelli and Pier Luigi Martini did demonstration laps in cars they raced in Adelaide in the 80’s. The event is run on a small section of the original circuit.

On Friday evening the cars paraded through the Adelaide streets, which I didn't know about, so got a big surprise when the cars went past! They ended up at a public street party in the CBD, together with many other sportscars also involved in the event.

Ivan Capelli in the Leyton House March CG891. The turquoise blue livery looked stunning in the flesh and in the bright Adelaide sun.

Stefan Johansson cruises by in the Ferrari 156/85 that he raced in the first Adelaide GP in 1985.

Pier Luigi Martini in the Minardi M189, which he qualified in 3rd position in Adelaide '89, outstanding for this small underfunded team.

Ian Ross in the Alan Jones Beatrice Lola Hart is a welcome sight at various historic events in Australia.

Somewhat reminiscent of Goodwood, albeit on much smaller scale

I’m usually not so interested in getting autographs or selfies with drivers, but thought I'd give it a go this time - Stefan, Pier Luigi and Ivan signed for me the model-kit instructions for the very cars they drove this weekend (kits not yet built…)

Pier Luigi (Piero) was a real gentleman, after a few minutes of chatting with another fan and I, he pulled out some chairs and invited us to sit down! A summary of the chat:

He actually owns the Minardi M189 himself, having bought it from the Minardi team. He only drives it in demonstration events, rather than risk the car in historic racing. It was the M189 which gave him memorable career highs in 1989-1990, such as leading the Portuguese grand prix, 1st and 2nd row starts at Phoenix and Adelaide. He said that the Pirelli qualifying tyres worked great with low fuel onboard, but on full fuel tank the race tyres did not have enough lateral grip in the faster corners. Combined with a large horsepower deficit, Piero not surprisingly listed the street circuits Adelaide, Monaco & Phoenix as his favourite tracks. When I asked him about his year at Dallara in 1992 he mentioned that he had actually signed to race that year for Ferrari, and Ivan Capelli had signed for Dallara. But then Ferrari changed their preference to Ivan, and since Ferrari also supplied the engines for Dallara, they swapped Ivan to Ferrari, and Piero to Dallara. “So, Ferrari…. (gives the ‘I got shafted’ gesture)”... In hindsight given Ferrari’s terrible 1992 season, maybe it was a blessing anyway!

Just before leaving Minardi and moving to Dallara, Piero had the opportunity to test the Lamborghini V12 engine which Minardi would be using in 1992. This he said was the best engine ever installed in a Minardi – lots of power as well as good low-end torque. Besides his career in F1, he also highly values his Le Mans 24hour win with BMW and still does brand ambassador work for BMW Italia to this day. He is not a fan of modern-day F1, lamenting that the tracks are too sterile (“There is no emotion…”), drivers can hone themselves in simulators, and overtaking is artificially assisted by DRS. “Now even 18-year olds can drive F1… Can win F1…” It was a highlight to spend some time with Pier Luigi Martini, the quintessential Minardi driver!

Sadly, the car suffered some electrical gremlins, which limited its time out on track.

"fire her up!" - Ivan Capelli gives the age-old gesture

A perfect sunny Sunday afternoon in the park

The Leyton House cars were known for being a tight fit, as illustrated here by Ivan

Stefan Johansson waiting to hit the track

Great shirt

Gerhard Berger’s Benetton B186

Very 'Spinal Tap': the boost can be turned up to 11...

Classic Lancia Rally 037

Which way to the pits?

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: pics: Capelli, Johansson & P.L. Martini @ Adelaide Motor

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi Jeff,

you have had a great time it seem's. Many thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures with us! :D
Especially the detail-shots are brilliant! :shock:
I also have the AMC M189 and your pictures will be a big help, once I start to build it.

So did the chat with Piero had an influence on your priorities what car to build next? :wink:

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Many, many thanks for sharing with us!!! What a great show.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

I'm green with envy (or should I say Coral blue?) These pictures are beyond spectacular. Yet another reminder of how cool F-1 used to be.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Thanks for sharing :) .

benjabulle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by benjabulle »

Great details on rare cars 8)

Maysula
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Maysula »

Fantastic pictures ! Superthanks :-)

dozman
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Lotus, Williams
Australia

Post by dozman »

Great write up Jeff, I don't think you took enough pictures :lol:

Envious of your talk with Mr Martini, what a fantastic opportunity.

Paul

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Jeff,

Excellent posting, enjoyed the read and excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks for sharing your pictures and story. Martini was a very good driver and his achievements in the Minardi, especially in qualifying, were impressive. The highlight was surely leading half a lap in Portugal in a Minardi.