1/20 Tamiya RA272 finally done

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

1/20 Tamiya RA272 finally done

Post by Eagle50 »

Hey Guys,

Well, I'm taking a deep breath, and posting my first finished build here. It's intimidating when so many others here post so much better builds than mine. I've never built a proper background for photos either, and usually just photograph my builds sitting on the 'ol workbench.

This RA202 took me eight months to build, what with starting a new job this year. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out though. If I were to do it again, I think I'd try to find some way of adding holding rivets around the wind shield, as seen on the real car. Otherwise, it was a pretty nice kit. Not so many parts, good Tamiya quality.

I rattle-can sprayed the Tamiya suggested TS-7 Racing White for this one. I considered Mr Hobby #69 Off White (called Gran Prix White in Japanese), and a similar rattle can colour that I found at my local home centre. But the #69 was just an ever-so-slightly grey tinted white, and the home centre stuff orange-peeled like crazy, when I sprayed them on test spoons. So TS-7 it was.

There are about five coats of Mr Hobby Gloss Clear on the body, for shine. I light-sanded down the "steps" around the decal edges with 2000 grit, between coats, so everything is flat.

I added lots of little tiny Sakatsu and Turner Model Factory (TMF) bolts to this one. Mostly around the engine, but also some at the front suspension rocker arm pivots, and rear trailing arm pivots.

I used black Hiro wire (0.23mm Piping Cord P933) for the "spark plug wires" (hardly visible now...), and 0.3mm gauge mono-filament fishing line for the clear "fuel lines".

For decals, I used an old Museum Collection set (C-TK031, 1800 yen), that came with real turned aluminium intake trumpets for the engine. Doubt that decal set is still available any more. I bought it years ago. But if you do have or find the set, I discovered that Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent Red was a perfect match for touch-ups, when I accidentally tore the red "meatball" decal on the nose.

The quick release fasteners moulded into the nose were sanded off, before painting (after drilling marker holes in the centres to know where they were), then replaced with PE quick release fasteners from the spares bin, and brush painted either TS-7 or TS-36 for more realism. There are also PE fasteners on either side of the "headrest", and either side of the top engine cover.

I added a honeycombed screen mesh (Finisher's Mesh No.16) to the top engine cover "mouth", to look more like the real car (which doesn't have a gaping hole there). And knowing that too much paint would just clog the little honeycomb mesh holes, I "primered" the mesh with a white magic marker first (because it dries thin) before spraying it with light TS-7 coats.

I got the wheel rims painted perfectly round in silver, by putting the wheels my electric carpenters drill, and touching a brush wet with X-11 Chrome Silver to them, as they were spinning.

I also added brake lines (Sakatsu 0.38 Plug Cord, No. 4510) running to the brake disks, and some galvanized 0.35mm gauge wire (Toho Color Wire #28) from the brake reservoirs that I found in a handicrafts store.

And I added a plethora of different colour / gauge wires behind the dashboard for effect. Be warned, however -- the dash wiring is entirely make-believe. I couldn't find any pictures of what the dash wiring looked like, and just added what made me happy.

The top edge of the windscreen was scraped / planed thinner with my trusty hobby knife (covered the floor with shavings), then polished back to a shine with Tamiya Course > Fine > Finish compounds, just to give the illusion of not being so thick. (No, it doesn't look as good as a vacuum part windscreen, but it's a whole lot easier than making a vacuum part yourself.)

I striped the chrome off the mirrors (by soaking in bleach), and repainted them with Mirror Spray (an AcrySunday product found in art supply and home centre stores here, that's like Alclad in a spray can) because I thought they were too bright. Gave the same Mirror Spray treatment to the rear axles (I know, I know, the instructions say they should be black), and front tie rod too.

What else..? Oh, the front oil tank was done in Modeler's Bare Metal Foil. (As you know, having lots of different silvers on a car somehow makes it look more realistic.) And...

As an after thought: I found that taking the nose cone on and off, scrapes the paint off the top radiator supports. So the tops of those top supports are "painted" with a black magic marker (doesn't rub off). The radiator supports are also pinned (with stainless steel insect pins) to the radiator, so that the radiator doesn't break off the model each time.

That's about it. Looking at the Mr Craft receipt still in the box, I see that I purchased this kit back on Feb 28, 2000. Gee, it only took me 15 years to finally put this one together. LOL Enjoy.
The red "meatball" kind of looks orange in this lighting, doesn't it...
The red "meatball" kind of looks orange in this lighting, doesn't it...
I think this kit looks better with the cowling off.
I think this kit looks better with the cowling off.
What a go-kart this machine must've been.  Can you imagine sitting behind the wheel like Buckham and Ginther did, doing 150 mph..?!?!
What a go-kart this machine must've been. Can you imagine sitting behind the wheel like Buckham and Ginther did, doing 150 mph..?!?!
All the engine wiring you see -- except the clear monofilament fishing line for the "fuel lines" is make-believe.  Couldn't find any reference pictures of the real car's engine area.
All the engine wiring you see -- except the clear monofilament fishing line for the "fuel lines" is make-believe. Couldn't find any reference pictures of the real car's engine area.
More wiring.  Museum Decal's turned aluminium trumpets were a pleasant, welcome addition.   Didn't even realise they were in the decal set, until I opened it.
More wiring. Museum Decal's turned aluminium trumpets were a pleasant, welcome addition. Didn't even realise they were in the decal set, until I opened it.
Close up of the nose area.   Galvanized wires to the brake fluid reservoirs.  Red wire up front is also entirely make-believe.  Just there because it looks cool...  Radiator given a wash of thinned XF-28 Dark Copper to look more like the real car.
Close up of the nose area. Galvanized wires to the brake fluid reservoirs. Red wire up front is also entirely make-believe. Just there because it looks cool... Radiator given a wash of thinned XF-28 Dark Copper to look more like the real car.
And the whole thing from the right side.  Yeah, the rear cowls don't stay down very well...  I'd like to invent a fix for that, but I'm considering this one DONE, and displaying it with the cowls off anyway.
And the whole thing from the right side. Yeah, the rear cowls don't stay down very well... I'd like to invent a fix for that, but I'm considering this one DONE, and displaying it with the cowls off anyway.
Cheers,
Chris

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/20 Tamiya RA272 finally done

Post by alexpayne »

Well Chris, as Kate Bush sang "I've Been Running Up That Hill". What a fab build, just love all the added plumbing and details. I think you've got the colour just right and the fastners and other little detail touches are lovely.
If I may offer one small(make that tiny!!) critic, the fuel lines would have looked a touch more realistic stained with clear yellow.
Great build Sir! and one to be proud of.
Atb, AlexP.

Luzne
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Pierluigi
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Tyrrell
Italy

Post by Luzne »

Very good job, Chris!
Beautiful details, great fasteners!

Pierluigi

P.S.: 8 months... ONLY 8 months! I should speed-up my F92A... :wink:
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Hi Chris!

WOW!!!!What a fantastic job you have made of this kit :D :D :D
All the extra details you have added really makes this stand out :shock: :shock:

I doff my cap to you, sir!

Cheers, H

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Nice :D ! Which Camera did You use, Photos look a bit dark?

Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

Don't see many of these - good work
"Flying is easy. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Douglas Adams

edi956
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by edi956 »

my compliments Chris: very very weel done!

Ed

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Well done ! Looking like a pie..Delicious :P

Alex.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great job Chris!

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Very very nice build

(but not a Turbo Group Build candidate, sorry...)