GB Turbo Era - Lotus 97T

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

GB Turbo Era - Lotus 97T

Post by tonym »

Hi Everyone,

I think it's time I posted my entry here. I've been working away at it for a week or two, so this is a catch up post. I've wanted to complete my trio of Senna Lotuses with this kit ever since Fujimi released it. I'll apologise for the poorly lit and grainy photos, I was beaten by the weather during my planned photo shoot. I'll get some better ones as we go through.

This one will just be using the kit parts, with some fill in decals from Museum Collection. So far, I've just removed parts from the sprue, cleaned them up, filled the ejection pin marks, stripped the Fujimi chrome, and started painting them individually. I've also done the wheels and tyres and a couple of minor assemblies. I'll start decaling soon, as I want them to dry thoroughly before applying the clear coats.

cheers

Tony

Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Re: GB Turbo Era - Lotus 97T

Post by RE60B »

great start, come on!

cheers

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Looks like you are in a flying lap, like Senna used to do!

Nice start! Which paint did you use for the body? It looks very well done.

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Thanks for the interest guys.
Starr - It's Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black, sprayed from the can. I seem to be able to get pretty consistent results with this stuff.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

For what it's worth, I used Tamiya TS-82 Rubber Black on the inner tub. Then I masked off the raised cockpit lip surround and sprayed that with TS-29 Semi Gloss Black. Then I over-sprayed the entire tub with a light coat of Mr Hobby B516 Semi-Gloss clear, to give everything the same dull sheen. I think that matches the two-tone tub colour you see in pictures of the actual car pretty well.

Looks like you car's coming along nicely, Starr!
Cheers,
Chris

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Eagle50 wrote:For what it's worth, I used Tamiya TS-82 Rubber Black on the inner tub. Then I masked off the raised cockpit lip surround and sprayed that with TS-29 Semi Gloss Black. Then I over-sprayed the entire tub with a light coat of Mr Hobby B516 Semi-Gloss clear, to give everything the same dull sheen. I think that matches the two-tone tub colour you see in pictures of the actual car pretty well.

Looks like you car's coming along nicely, Starr!
Cheers,
Chris
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hi Chris,

Thank you for the compliment but this is not my build :mrgreen: . I'll be building a Ferrari 126CK. :wink:

Cheers,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Thanks for the tip Chris. I wish I'd read it before painting and decaling the tub. Speaking of decals, I've been decaling the engine cover, but I'm not happy with the pinstripes at all, I think it takes more skill than I've got to get them right. Rather than proceed with a sub standard finish, this morning I stripped them all off and ordered a set of Indycals decals which offer a different solution with the biscuit coloured decals printed on a black background. I guess they will take a week or two to arrive, so I'll proceed with the rest of the build in the meantime.
I've never used Indycals before, but had been thinking of getting them to replace the kit Brabham BT-50 decals that I am planning as my next entry in this group build, so I ordered both sets (and the Ferrari 312T3 as well).
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Tony the car is not red!!!! Great to see you step into the light mate. Nice start and bummer about the decal issue, Michael's decals are great i have used a few sheets in the past. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Great start and you're right about those pin stripe decals, they are a real pain to get right..!!
Keep the updates coming..
Steve Noble

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Starr wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hi Chris,
Thank you for the compliment but this is not my build :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Starr
Oops, my dyslexia rears its ugly head again. Sorry, Starr...
SteveNoble wrote:... you're right about those pin stripe decals, they are a real pain to get right..!!
I broke the fiddly pinstripe decals on my Fujimi Lotus 97T twice. But with patience, you can do it. I also think it helps to lay a bead of highly watered-down white glue (it'll dry clear) where you'll be putting the pinstripes, and allow that to dry for about five minutes. The extra glue helps hold down the pinstripes - or any decal for that matter.

I trust you haven't given up on your 97T. It's a rewarding kit when finished!

Cheers,
Chris