Source for 1/25 DOHC Ford V8

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Source for 1/25 DOHC Ford V8

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

I had hoped to have a productive modeling summer and finish my Tameo 1952 Ferrari 500 F2, but was just distracted by family stuff.

Then, in August, at the Pocono Indycar race, I saw and heard for the first time the mighty DOHC Ford V8 at the Vintage Indycar Festival. So, I decided to build the MPC Olsonite Eagle that I've had sitting around, in the Denny Hulme/DOHC Ford V8 version with decals from Indycals.

The problem is, the iconic bundle of snakes exhaust is not much more than a plastic blob with a few indentations sort of resembling pipes, and the 4 individual intake trumpets on each side are molded into a group of four - completely unrealistic. I've been carving and digging and hacking at the exhaust blob, and I might be able to use the individual stacks from the Gurney-Westlake version, but they still won't look right.

Anybody know of a 1/25-scale engine kit, or a kit that I could steal the engine from? I've got a HRM 1/24 Ferrari 330 P4 engine kit to trade. :mrgreen:

TIA, Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Re: Source for 1/25 DOHC Ford V8

Post by smbrm1 »

Hi Greg

The Ford Quad Cam in the MPC Olsonite Eagle is the best 1/25 scale version of this engine available. It does have its own characteristics that make it quite unique. The only way to get a realistic bundle of snakes that I have found is to attempt a scratch build. It's not a simple scratch build to master especially from the assembly perspective. I am still pursuing my own attempt. I have always wondered if there would be any interest in a detailing profile for vintage Indy engines? I keep hoping to see adequate detailing enthusiasm to support such a project.

Cheers :)

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

I have a resin Ford 4 cam I would be willing to help you with. I think it's from either Bill or Lance.
Michael Chriss

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Lance did do a resin Quad cam turbo based on the MPC engine. Fortunately the bundle of snakes is insulated with an aluminum wrap, making it easier to replicate the exhaust manifold.