Penske PC17, AMT, 1/25

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Penske PC17, AMT, 1/25

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Hi

my latest model is another indycar, this time the 88 Indy 500 winner driven by Rick Mears. The kit originally was the Miller version, but I like the Pennzoil version better, so I got myself some decals from Indycals.

I built the tub like this: first I finished the cockpit, then masked the cockpit opening from below with tape, with just a mm overlap on the edge, then glued the cockpit in the upper body part, which was painted black on the inside before. This allowed me to glue the upper body part to the floor part, sand and putty them together cleanly, and pull out the masking tape from above after painting was finished. I split the front wing in 2 halves, and put them in seperately at the end. No big problems with the kit, just the engine cowling fits onyl from the right or from the left, but not on both sides at the same time.

Painted with decanted TS16, 6 and 29, Mr Hobby Super clear on Top, small parts partly Alclad Alu, partly hand brushed Aqua Color. I added belts, some wires and BMF foli here and there. There were no tire decals in the kit, so I brush painted the raised letters and weathered them a bit afterwards.

Hope you like it.

PS: actually this kit might have been the very first car kit I ever built. After the wall came down but shortly before actual reunification we already got the DM, shops started selling "western" model kits, and I got this kit - built it without painting, and after watching my first indycar races in 93 I handpainted it to match Mansells Newman Haas livery...

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Re: Penske PC17, AMT, 1/25

Post by jaws »

beautiful job as I know these are not the best kits to deal with. Only thing I think you maybe missed was the wheel color. Believe they were chrome.
Sure miss those days of CART when I felt is was the very best in open wheel racing.
Used to go to Phoenix every spring to see them on a 1 mile oval. Never forget when Rick Mears had a pole speed of 160 MPH.
Nice job on the model and thanks for sharing!!!

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Great job on a rough kit. I agree with Jaws. I miss Cart.

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

I will third the rough kit aspect, having built this car myself I know it takes a lot of work to get them to where you did! Awesome stuff!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Ola
F2
F2

Post by Ola »

Very nice build!!
I also miss CART....

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Oh, I can't even properly explain how much I miss CART as well. I used to look forward to the Indy race every year from watching it on ABC as a toddler practically, and CART racing at it's prime was fantastic. Great drivers, great tracks, fantastic looking cars (Lola, Reynard, Penske, Galmer, March, Porsche, AAR Eagle, etc...)...

and instead now, well....you know...

Beautiful job Marco. Your builds are always exceptionally clean-looking and very well painted. Great work on an iconic car.

AJ

Acmiaz
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Acmiaz »

Great job its really nice to see Indy cars posted here. Thanks for sharing.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice Indy-Racer :) .

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Another who misses a great racing series. Excellent build great to see an Indy car being done.

ModelTime
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ModelTime »

Great Model! Love the paint! I also love Indy, Penske and Rick Mears!
"To finish first you must first finish" -Rick Mears