Ligier 1979

Any scale...

Topic author
hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Ligier 1979

Post by hquednau »

My first WIP on this fine forum was Tamiya's 1:20 Ligier JS11. Now several years later I'm building....a JS11!

I wasn't completely happy with the first one, as I was A) new to building these kits and B) finishing a kit my brother started as a teenager. I made a few errors on that one and I was never really happy with the color. I used TS44, which some here recommend. It looks similar to some photos, but still not "right". This time I will try using a method suggested on the Indycals FAQ page: using TS23 (light blue) over a base coat of TS10 (french blue). We will see.

The only real changes to the kit are shown in these pictures. I am using Indycals decals as the kit markings have yellowed (I suspect they weren't all that white to begin with). I am also using the more correct profile tires that Tamiya supplies with recently released Lotus 79 kits. Also shown are the mesh trumpet covers from that kit to replace the plastic ones.

I have used a scribing tool to remove the plastic from the sidepod radiators and will replace these with photo-etch sourced from another kit. Looks a bit like an electric shaver in this photo.
More updates soon.

Howard
Attachments
JS11_2.jpg
JS11_1.jpg

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Ligier 1979

Post by vekkuli »

I also have this Kit to start with. Good Luck with the Build :) .

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Howard,

I'll be very interested to see how the colour scheme comes out using the technique you've mentioned.
Looking forward to your updates...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Interesting subject. Looking to see more of it.

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

I applaud your willingness to experiment with the colour Howard. This will be a great opportunity to see the two colours you're proposing to use up against the previous colour. I'm very curious to see how they compare, so look forward to seeing more updates.

Fac63
F3
F3

Post by Fac63 »

Another of my favourite '70s/'80s cars, this was my second build after returning to modelling.

Like you, I wasn't 100% happy with the results, and I'm contemplating getting the kit again at some point and having another go (just missed one on eBay for £22!)

I used the Tamiya French Blue spray, it looked a decent match, colour-wise, to me. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

You're right, Howard, they do look like electric shavers! Nice, though. Much better than the un-modified kit parts.

Thanks for the heads up, on using Lotus 79 wheels.

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

I have applied the TS 23 over the TS 10 and....I like it! And it doesn't really show well on your computer :( But really, it looks good. I will try to post a comparison test on plastic spoons so as to offer a side-by-side.
Attachments
JS11_3.jpg

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

Bonsoir, une des plus mythique bleue!
I have used primer 10 and 23 on mine too, the mix is looking to be excellent.
A lot of work as clear look to be great in finé!

cheers

Cédric "oil filter mode"

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

hquednau wrote:I have applied the TS 23 over the TS 10 and....I like it! And it doesn't really show well on your computer :( But really, it looks good. I will try to post a comparison test on plastic spoons so as to offer a side-by-side.
The colour looks great, but I know what you mean by not looking good on a computer. Screens can often distort the colour just a fraction, and it can look wrong. I'll be interested to see the spoon comparison.