Lotus 72E/6 22.9.1973 CGP Qual. R. Peterson

Any scale...

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Lotus 72E/6 22.9.1973 CGP Qual. R. Peterson

Post by Hacksaw »

Hello Tommyjsaari,

I have been researching the late 1973 JPS Lotus 72 recently for a 1/12 scale model that I am working on, the oil tank at the rear of the car went through two stages of development over the year. At the start of the year the rear oil tank and radiator were as the previous year and as represented in the Tamiya 1/12 scale Lotus 72D kit.

The first development is discussed in this thread:
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/11055 ... ix-merged/
A picture in the second post shows the rear oil tank and wing assembly repositioned 10 inches back by the use of a triangulated frame that was attached between the original tank and the gearbox. This appeared I think for the first time at the French GP.

At the German GP a new oil tank was used in practice but not in the race, this tank was a much longer and thinner while enabling the wing to remain in its revised (10 inches further back) position. In conjunction with the new oil tank a pair of oil radiators were mounted low down either side of the gearbox and smaller radiator (for the gearbox?) was mounted low down across the back of the tank, the rear light was mounted above this radiator. This new configuration was used at the Italian GP and continued to be used until new wing size and location regulations came into force at the beginning of the 1974 European season allowing JPS Lotus to use the arrangement in the first two races of 1974 the Argentinean and Brazilian GP’s.

This link shows the back of Peterson’s car at the Canadian GP:
http://istenbizony.hu/tag/john-player-special/
You will need to scroll down to the third image from the bottom of the page. Peterson also practiced in the spare car which did not have the long rear oil tank but was still equipped with the French GP space frame arrangement.

These two links are currently on e-bay, both (eventually) have a “put the mouse pointer over the image to enlarge” facility:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Emerson-Fi ... 1077500546
And:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Emerson-Fi ... 0977731551

While this link shows the later thin rear oil tank from a different angle:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PS5rmsJX5u4/U ... 5sn510.jpg
Interestingly the same picture is up for sale on e-bay – I wonder if there will be any takers?

Regards,

Hacksaw

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Very nice. Looks great

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Thank you, Hacksaw!

You might have seen these;
French GP

German GP, really extreme extension on the oil tank

US GP, "back to normal" though the oiltank shape is a bit more stream lined and the under wing airflow is improved over early season wing mounts.

I would say there was no development from CGP to USGP. IMO the rear end is pretty much the same. Hmm...I need to build me a gearbox oil radiator...was wondering about that. And this would mean battery was definetly moved into the cocpit. Which means I need to extend the floor over fire extinguisher on Ebbro kit.

Wheels still puzzle me, I think after Dutch GP Emmo simply refused to drive Melmag wheels where as Ronnie still used to the end of the season. Race footage through out the season shows them running different whees on occasion.

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Ok, I need you help again! This is Ronnie on qualifying day. There is a roundel on the body next to British flag. Anybody have any better shot of what it might say?
Maybe it's the World Champion 1972 one? Even if you don't have bulletproof eveidence I would appreciate educated quess as well.

It is there on sunday morning also.

Of course neither Ebbro nor Indycal decal sheet has these...so, when it all adds up...I'm missing one decal. If it indeed is WC72 sticker.

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Oh and this is how I think the cars actually looked; Pinstriping was painted and number backs and sponsor logos were die-cut vinyl which was more bisquit color...it was the early seventies andvtechnology wasn't the same as today. I used ebbro sheet for numbwer backs and sponsor logos and Indycals for pinstriping. JPS logos will be Indyclas though I think they might be a bit bright.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

tommyjsaari wrote:Ok, I need you help again! This is Ronnie on qualifying day. There is a roundel on the body next to British flag. Anybody have any better shot of what it might say?
Maybe it's the World Champion 1972 one? Even if you don't have bulletproof eveidence I would appreciate educated quess as well.

Of course neither Ebbro nor Indycal decal sheet has these...so, when it all adds up...I'm missing one decal. If it indeed is WC72 sticker.
Hi Tommy

I don't even see a British Flag?

If you mean the laurel just behind the front wheel, it is probably either a race win laurel or a WC72 laurel?

Stephen

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Yeah, the British flag is there just not in the pictures, the wheel just blocks it :), Few post up there is a pic from USGP with the laurel and the flag.

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Hi Tommy,

I have the Tabu JPS Lotus 72 set and the laurel says:

John Player
Team Lotus
World Champion
Car Constructers

John Player Special (in a curve beneath the 1972) This might be wrong when comparing it to the 1974 laurel but I've got no hard fast evidence to prove it either way.

Laurel used in 1974:
Picture 11.jpg

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Actually I do have one fuzzy shot from the 1973 Dutch GP and this looks like the years 1963 1965 1968 1970 to me. Sorted?!
Picture 12.jpg