Any scale...

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Re: GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Post by Terry »

Sorry to read about the decal problems Chris. What a weird outcome, and a nuisance. What brand of black paint did you use?
Cheers,
T

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Terry wrote:Sorry to read about the decal problems Chris. What a weird outcome, and a nuisance. What brand of black paint did you use?
Cheers,
T
Yeah, quite irritating :? .
Paint is Tamiya TS-14 Black with Mr. Super Clear.

I can't understand why it's happening with two different brands of decals (Tabu, & Ebbro), and to make things more confusing; the first (Tabu) decal on the side pod was OK, but then it went bad when the second (Ebbro) was applied. The only common thread to them is the decal being applied on top of the clear coat, but the other decals on top of the clear-coat are OK...........I'm baffled.
Gotta get my hands on some more decals :cry: .

Cheers,
Chris

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Beautiful! And nice recovery for the nose decal. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello Again,

OK, putting the decal problems aside, a couple more things done with the chassis; and you all thought it was actually completed :lol: .
This time, an addition at each end. At the back of the car, the oil cooler, and associated housing were added. The surface of the oil cooler was scraped away and replaced with p.e. Other than that, not much to say. At the front, the metal sub-frame was added. I used the metal aftermarket part from Ebbro. Quite a nice little piece, fits nicely, and no problems for the body work fit. Only one wish, that it was a little less shiny, but that can easily be toned down.
Anyhow, here's how it all came out.
Chassis Complete 1.JPG
Chassis Complete 2.JPG
Chassis Complete 3.JPG
Chassis Complete 4.JPG
Chassis Complete 7.JPG
This time, I think the chassis is actually complete, for good, no more additions, all done. Maybe. Until I realize I forgot something else. We'll see.

Now, gotta fix those decals.
Onward and upward.
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Another great update.......Looks sweet, Chris :D

Cheers, H

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Hi Chris,

It is coming along very nice. You make me wish to have one on my stash :-) keep the good work and thanks for share it with us.

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Well, despite my decal woes with the number rondels (squaredels??), I have managed to actually complete a few decals without blotting. That being said, the rear wing was decaled successfully. I used the Tabu set for all of them, and I am quite impressed how well the JPS's conformed over the rivets. A bit of Micro-Sol, and some heat was all it took. I used 2-part epoxy to attach the end-plates, no fogging on the black paint. A small amount squeezed through the bolt holes, and despite mostly being removed, I had to use the Champion decals to hide the blunder. Unfortunately, this means they are a little out of place when compared to the real car :wink: . Far from the end of the world, not too far out of place.
The fasteners for the end-plates are T2M "cross-type" machined metal fasteners.

So, that all being said, here's how things look.
Rear Wing Decaled 2.JPG
Rear Wing Decaled 3.JPG
In order to fix the other decal problems, I've ordered a set from Indycals, and should be able to get moving again once they arrive :D .
Onward, upward, and nearly complete!!!
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Looking sweet, Chris 8)
I'm looking forward to seeing this complete! It's been a fun ride and great to watch!

Cheers, H

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Well, I am nearly complete with the Lotus 72E. Seriously this time :roll: .
I have completed everything, save for the problem with the decals. So, first let me start with the things that worked.

The rear wing was installed and glued to the mount. As the transmission had an unintentional twist to it (remember the suspension alignment issues?) the rear wing also started out a little off kilter. Just like the suspenion, a little heat and pressure put it all right.
Rear Wing Installed 2.JPG
The cockpit surround was also completed. With all the decals applied, the mirrors were attached, with fasteners applied from the inside. The fasteners around the lower edge are p.e. from Crazy Modeler, one of my favorite p.e. fastener sets.
Cockpit Surround 2.JPG
So, with that, here's how it all stands.
Overall Status 3.JPG
Now, for the thing that hasn't worked, namely the decals. I ordered a set of replacement decals from Indycals in the hopes that they would be able to resist the blotch. Unfortunately, although the decals are quite nice, and I am pretty confident they would not have the same trouble, the gold is quite different than the other sets I have used. As I really don't want to replace all the decals, I'm going to have to find another way :? .
On the matter of the blotchiness; after some discussions with Alex Payne, I think it is caused stuff leaching out of the plastic. Alex showed me an Ebbro 72C, where the red plastic leached into and caused some a couple white decals to turn pink. In my case, I think the black plastic leached into the gold decals, as the blotchiness is black. Hopefully, another layer of decals will survive.
So, that's where things stand at the moment. I am so, so, so close to wrapping it all up.
Onward and upward!!!
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Hi Chris,

It's a shame about the decal problem, although I'm sure you'll win the battle, with style :wink:

All in all, though, that is one stunning model you have there!!! You should be proud :D

Cheers, H