Has anybody ever seen one of these?

Ask away....

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Has anybody ever seen one of these?

Post by Noddy »

It originated as a really big RC car. It has a battery hatch on the bottom.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Sean I had not noticed it was you! :D
Yes, there´s all the stuff like wings "and family", obviously unaccurate.
Either the manufacturere did not care, or it was lost and someone finished it in a fast-careless way.
In case of mine, all this is quite faithful.
Mre later o this, BTW I owe you a PM, here I go! :lol:

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Has it occurred to anyone that the accuracy of the thing did not matter one whit to the people who commissioned it and, in fact, it may have been deliberately "generic" to avoid any licensing problems? IOW only modelers would be having this discussion as to everyone else it serves its purpose.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I found the original RC kit on the web last night. It had “normal” wings and barge boards. It is clearly pattered off of the McLaren, but it was semi-liveried in sort of Ferrari colors. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Seems like I’ll be printing new parts for this, if it’s in the ballpark of accuracy/scale. If so, I think it would be easier to convert to a MP4-13 and paint orange, like they ran in pre-season testing.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SeanMAIN wrote:I found the original RC kit on the web last night. It had “normal” wings and barge boards. It is clearly pattered off of the McLaren, but it was semi-liveried in sort of Ferrari colors. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Seems like I’ll be printing new parts for this, if it’s in the ballpark of accuracy/scale. If so, I think it would be easier to convert to a MP4-13 and paint orange, like they ran in pre-season testing.
Excellent!
The last one of these that I saw sell went for US$285, mind sharing with the class what you paid for this one? I don't recall what the shipping was but it was pretty high I think.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I paid $140.00+shipping. Waiting on that cost. I paid $100.00 to ship, but agreed to cover any extra cost as I asked shipped to over pack it. I have only built 1/8 for a long time, so I’m excited to see if these is anything I can do with this size of a model. If the tires/wheels are good, and the body looks close in the pics, I can make everything else look right. I will likely sell it when I’m done. Too big to keep. I was donating a large part of my collection to a museum this year, but COVID closed it and I am out of space.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I found a couple of pics of the original box art. Pretty big for an RC car you could have bought at a Toys R Us back in the day. With its original parts, doesn't look half bad. Nothing some spit & polish can make right. I would love to find another donor car.
Attachments
QBIG.jpg
QScale 2.jpg

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I've seen a 1/4 scale Jaguar R1 at the International Motor research center in Watkins Glen that Stewart donated.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Was that a wind tunnel model?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

This is the R2: it can be bought between 100 or 150eu, sometimes less, depending on condition...

stubeck wrote:I've seen a 1/4 scale Jaguar R1 at the International Motor research center in Watkins Glen that Stewart donated.
This one, nice!! No, it does not look as a wind tunnel model. I doubt they used that small models in 2000...

These are cars with thin walls, otherwise they'd be soooo heavy. As RC cars they are probably quite slow, they have small motors for their size.
Mine, same as the pics above, is reasonably accurate, I think. Surely that making it right would demand a litle work and quite a few 3D printed parts.