Ask away....

Topic author
Auspuff
Formula e
Formula e

3D printed full colour decals

Post by Auspuff »

Hey folks,

I occasionally peek in on the military side modelling to see what's up and once in a loooong while I'll build something. I was looking around at aircraft models on eBay and noticed this company from Russia called Quinta Studio which is offering embossed, full-colour interior details which are 3D printed onto decal paper and applied in much the same way as any other waterslide decal, although they recommend applying an additional adhesive to the surface before applying them.

I did some looking around and it sounds as though the machine that they are having these printed on is a Mimaki UJF-3042 MkII, which seems to go for a cool $20,000USD.

Does anyone know if there are any people or companies who are looking into this technology for F1 and other race car interiors?

I apologize if this is old news!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: 3D printed full colour decals

Post by daniel »

WOW this is pretty amazing. I would say the MFH "cable ties" or "fan-belts" are done the same way.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

daniel wrote:WOW this is pretty amazing. I would say the MFH "cable ties" or "fan-belts" are done the same way.
Be careful, I bought all kinds of MFH 3D printed cable fasteners, too fragile, useless.....

Again, no offense, but if anyone in USA domestic want to have a try, can let me know, I will give them away for free. Worth like $70-80 dollars?

Totally waste of money, can’t hold the cable even slightly together.....lol. Also print “grid” is low......

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Agree with you. For cableties or anything else that requires the least bit of strenght they are useless. Even the MFH fanbelts broke...after they haven been installed :)

But I think these cockpit add-ons are amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Looks nice! Interesting thing :D
Greetings Thomas

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

That is the future, Mimaki is the best for 3D colour prints for many materials, all colours and primer and clear coat.
About 25000 euros
Mike

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

*2.5D, not 3D (technically)

I haven't seen anything for auto modellers, but I suspect they'll become a lot more common in the next few years as people adopt the technology more. It's not all that hard to figure out what kind(s) of machines can do it, then it's just a case of finding a print shop that can do it for you. And what the design requirements are - I'm not sure if you need 'proper' 3D files, or just some variation on vector drawings.
Je ne regrette rien.

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

MoFo wrote:*2.5D, not 3D (technically)

I haven't seen anything for auto modellers, but I suspect they'll become a lot more common in the next few years as people adopt the technology more. It's not all that hard to figure out what kind(s) of machines can do it, then it's just a case of finding a print shop that can do it for you. And what the design requirements are - I'm not sure if you need 'proper' 3D files, or just some variation on vector drawings.

Please look:
Mimaki 3DUJ-553 over 10millions colours.

Mike

Topic author
Auspuff
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Auspuff »

MoFo wrote:*2.5D, not 3D (technically)

I read about the process a little bit more since posting this, and you're right that it's not technically 3D. In fact, the machine is not really a 3D printer, but rather a UV-curing inkjet printer that is capable of laying down a primer layer and then "ink"(which contains one or more monomers, oligomers, pigments, and photoinitiators-- similar chemistry as the liquid resins used in 3D printers), then building up and curing layers of inks and clears to achieve an embossed effect. The range of applications and the variety of substrates on which they can print is pretty incredible.

I gather that this Quinta Studio company first started printing their interior details onto brass sheet, much like what is available in colour photoetch from Eduard and others, and someone must've realized that they could print directly onto decal paper and build up the detail.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Auspuff wrote:Hey folks,

I occasionally peek in on the military side modelling to see what's up and once in a loooong while I'll build something. I was looking around at aircraft models on eBay and noticed this company from Russia called Quinta Studio which is offering embossed, full-colour interior details which are 3D printed onto decal paper and applied in much the same way as any other waterslide decal, although they recommend applying an additional adhesive to the surface before applying them.
[..]
I apologize if this is old news!
Wow this is really awesome. Considering that the plane crowd is mostly 1/32 1/48 1/72 scale and armor (for whatever retarded reason) is 1/35 (instead of say, 1/32 to match the birds). So if it works for the smaller scales, it should be good for most car scales and in particular the big scales (1/12).
danibear wrote:
daniel wrote:WOW this is pretty amazing. I would say the MFH "cable ties" or "fan-belts" are done the same way.
Be careful, I bought all kinds of MFH 3D printed cable fasteners, too fragile, useless.....
I assume these are PE ties, right? Not sure if you've tried heating them over a flame a bit to anneal them? Might make them a bit softer. That's what the brass crowd usually does to get flowing curves or tighter shapes, i.e. using stamping to get something into shape, or oldskool hammering something like a bonnet into shape.
Worth a shot if you're otherwise going to "throw them away" anyway :)
Cheers,
Roman