Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Karl
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Is Silicone remover safe on decals?

Post by glank27 »

Experienced some fish eye issues in my zero 2k clear and was told to clean the parts safely with silicone remover prior to applying paint in order to avoid any contaminants which might trigger fish eyes. With some parts left for the last shots of 2k clear, i need to know if silicone remover is actually safe to use on decals as these parts are already decaled on the base coat and awaiting clear coat. Are there any other safe methods to have a contaminant free clean surface priornto painting? Thanks in advance.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Is Silicone remover safe on decals?

Post by bestbalsakits »

there is product generally called fish-eye remover, and which is liquid you need to add few drops of in paint.
Google and you'll find like this: "Eastwood's Fish Eye Eliminator is designed to combat fish eyes or cratering in urethane finishes. Fish eyes are caused by contamination, most often in the form of silicone, water, oil and/or grease, on the substrate. The best defense against fish eyes is a properly prepared surface and clean work environment, however sometimes despite efforts to keep things clean, contamination appears. In those situations, a little Fish Eye Eliminator goes a long way to ease surface tension and allow the coating to flow properly. 16 ounce can treats 8 gallons of sprayable paint".

I can imagine that different makes of paint, would need different make of fish-eye remover, but not sure.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...