Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Airbrush Paint

Post by SBEST »

I managed to get my airbrush out after a number of years. I realize I need to practice. So, I am asking does anyone have a recommendation on some inexpensive paint I can spray to get the sense of control of the airbrushes. Reluctant to use up good paint to practice.

I have two. One is a single action Badger. The other a double action Paasche.

Kind Regards,

STeve

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Re: Airbrush Paint

Post by Orso »

I think that you would do best practising with the paint type you are going to use in your modelling as paints act differently.
I prefer the acrylics from Tamiya and Gunze. I have amany tins of Humbrol enamels left that i used many years ago and I have to struggle a bit when I want to use them
I tried to switch to the Vallejo acrylics but never got to terms with them so i gave them away. I never tried 2k paints as I really hate the painting part of modelling so adding the mixing of two components of paint before painting isn't something I will get in to.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

For learning how to use the airbrush, get some pre-thinned paint like Gravity Colors Europe, Splash Paints or Zero Paints. I'd recommend staying away from white as a color to test with as its a difficult one to paint on a good day.

One you're comfortable with thinning your own paint, I'd recommend getting some of the larger Tamiya acrylics. I've never quite understood the point of the 10 ML bottles that my local hobby shops insist on on stocking rather than the 27 ml bottles. Its always a 25-40% price increase for almost 3 times the amount of paint.

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

Buy yourself a big bottle of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and then buy whatever Tamiya acrylic colors you tend to use.

That combination is about the easiest thing on Earth to spray and it's very easy to get excellent results from it.

Buy the products from Scale Hobbyist. They have good prices and good service.

For $20 you can get all set up with some colors and shoot paint until you heart is content.