Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Ebay Prices F1 Models

Post by SBEST »

Has any one noticed the prices of kits on Ebay lately? They seem on the high side. Curious for folks opinions on this.

Steve

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Ebay Prices F1 Models

Post by CelicaGT »

Yes, they seem high most of the time, and sometimes absolutely unbelievable. Take a look at the "Completed Listings" and that will give you a better idea of which models are actually selling and for how much.

Also, having sold things on Ebay (not models but some electronics and such), there is a large cut taken by Ebay on every sale. So that also helps to inflate prices.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Prices have gone up considerably the last few months. What seems to be happening is that people with items in stock see an item go up for $100, and then post theirs up for $110, and then someone see its up for $110 so puts it for $120. Its gotten ridiculous with some models, the Tamiya RB6 has a max price of $2300 (yes two thousand three hundred) because of some of this escalation. You can still find deals, I was able to get a Ferrari F60 for under $55 when the average buy it now was much higher.

I've had good luck with eBay generally, you just need to do some research much like if you buy something on Amazon. Just because the price is the lowest price you can find currently, it doesn't mean someone hasn't bought it much cheaper very recently. The best part of ebay is they're very customer friendly, so if an item is ordered, it should be shipped very quickly.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

No wonder in my opinion.
When i sell a kit for 189,- usd (167,- euro) excl shipping, Ebay wants about 25 euro commission.
And i have to pay Paypal costs...
You can do the math.....
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

CelicaGT wrote: Take a look at the "Completed Listings" and that will give you a better idea of which models are actually selling and for how much.
Thats it!!! 8)
Anyway, I don't know on your respective countries, but mobile App based platforms are really offering a good counterpart to Evil Bay.
Here we have Wallapop and Todocoleccion. Spaniards here will tell you. Who hasn't been tempted, please rise your hand!! :lol:
Hein, Joaquin, Jesus, Edgar...? 8)

Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

JamesB wrote:
CelicaGT wrote: Take a look at the "Completed Listings" and that will give you a better idea of which models are actually selling and for how much.
Thats it!!! 8)
Anyway, I don't know on your respective countries, but mobile App based platforms are really offering a good counterpart to Evil Bay.
Here we have Wallapop and Todocoleccion. Spaniards here will tell you. Who hasn't been tempted, please rise your hand!! :lol:
Hein, Joaquin, Jesus, Edgar...? 8)
Well does anyone know of counterparts Stateside to Ebay?

Steve

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

racingkars wrote:No wonder in my opinion.
When i sell a kit for 189,- usd (167,- euro) excl shipping, Ebay wants about 25 euro commission.
You can do the math.....
Ebay commission usually is 10%, but they also take 10% commission on your shipping costs.
PayPal cuts another 4%. But Paypal also bites otherwise: they no longer issue a commission refund for refunded amounts. I've had buyer who bought & paid a Euro 100 item, changed his mind right after and cancelled purchase for full refund which was granted by Ebay & Paypal. Euro 4 commission that was paid to paypal upon finalising deal, came out of my pocket, so i'm Euro 4 in the red for that sale.
And of course: ebay & paypal buyer protection also contributes to price of offerings. As seller, you're 100% responsible for goods during transit. So in case of loss: buyer gets refunded. I even had a registered shipment customer signed for on delivery, that got refunded as buyer said the signature on receipt was not his so he did not receive. Money: gone. Goods: gone.

And ehhh... someone has to pay for all these extra costs. So prices go up.
My ebay store is 15% to 20% more expensive than my regular store to cover these extra costs, and i'm not the only one doing so.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

bestbalsakits wrote:
racingkars wrote:No wonder in my opinion.
You can do the math.....
Ebay commission usually is 10%, but they also take 10% commission on your shipping costs.
PayPal cuts another 4%. But Paypal also bites otherwise: they no longer issue a commission refund for refunded amounts. I've had buyer who bought & paid a Euro 100 item, changed his mind right after and cancelled purchase for full refund which was granted by Ebay & Paypal. Euro 4 commission that was paid to paypal upon finalising deal, came out of my pocket, so i'm Euro 4 in the red for that sale.
And of course: ebay & paypal buyer protection also contributes to price of offerings. As seller, you're 100% responsible for goods during transit. So in case of loss: buyer gets refunded. I even had a registered shipment customer signed for on delivery, that got refunded as buyer said the signature on receipt was not his so he did not receive. Money: gone. Goods: gone.

And ehhh... someone has to pay for all these extra costs. So prices go up.
My ebay store is 15% to 20% more expensive than my regular store to cover these extra costs, and i'm not the only one doing so.

Wim
Exactly my point, Wim. At least, what i tried to say.
I have to raise the price on Ebay because of the extra costs.
While my trade name is so easy to buy for lesser prices... wwwracingkarscom
Kars

English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I'll counter the argument about ebay fees by stating this isn't new, the fees have been high for a long time now. The current issue isn't people responding to a new increased ebay fee, its seeing what others are getting and adding to it.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

stubeck wrote:I'll counter the argument about ebay fees by stating this isn't new, the fees have been high for a long time now. The current issue isn't people responding to a new increased ebay fee, its seeing what others are getting and adding to it.
The increase will certainly not be the only explanation.
But, in 2018 i paid about 20,- euro for the same sell.
And in 2017 about 16,50 euro.
And now in 2020 about 25 euro.

Then of course, prices have risen for me over the years to buy from the maker of the kits, so resell is more expensive too.
Kars