Ask away....

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Re: SAME SUBJECT, different SCALE?

Post by BMW »

notfound404 wrote:I'm mystified by the "Tamiya should had never put out the 1/20 scale cars .." statement.

So, it was okay for Ebbro, Fujimi, Beemax, MFH, Studio 27, Hasegawa, Wolf, Modelers etc to do this, but not for Tamiya?

Is this a chicken/egg scenario?
I think it is because Tamiya was the first to build F1 cars in 1/20 in the 1970s, and the rest followed :)

The reason Tamiya made the F1 cars in 1/20, and not in 1/24 was because they could not fit the batteries and motors for the Tyrrell P34 in 1/24, but if they increased the size to 1/20, they could. That is the legend anyway.
But in reality Tamiya made other, non-electric cars as well in 1/20 (Porsche 928, Porsche 935, FIAT 131 etc.) so I think Tamiya simply wanted to introduce 1/20 as the main scale, over 1/24 but it never caught on.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

leafs004
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by leafs004 »

Just think how the military guys feel. Planes in 1/32, ground units 1/35. Next 1/48 for planes, but very little in 1/48 for ground units, but in 1/72, everything finally matches up.
"Slow and Steady Wins the Race" - Who ever won a race with that strategy?

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

I have about 6 Tamiya indycars 1/20 versions already built and 4 more waiting to be done. If this Tamiya car would be in 1/25 I would never have had them. All my F1 cars are in 1/20, so it would be different on the shelf.

that is just me.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

leafs004 wrote:Just think how the military guys feel. Planes in 1/32, ground units 1/35. Next 1/48 for planes, but very little in 1/48 for ground units, but in 1/72, everything finally matches up.
Military really sucks and for planes you have even more scales than that. It really annoys the pants off of me to have different scales and models being available at one but not another. At some point in the past I have decided to have only 1/12 cars and 1/32 planes. If a car isn't available in 1/12 I don't care. The one 1/24 917 I have is a test mule, where I want to test things out, because it was cheap. For planes I have settled on 1/32 as 1/24 or 1/18 is just too damn big - even a 1/32 is too big for some things. A 32nd B17 is 79 x 99 cm (3 ft long!!). I prefer the larger scales because you can show more details and all at the cost of needing lots of space (and funds). Star Wars sucks as well: some parts are available in 1/72 (Falcon, Ties, ...) and others only at 1/144 (AT-AT, AT-ST Walkers)... WHY?
Cheers,
Roman

seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Hey James my old friend :-)

So my preference on scales... all my F1 are either 1/20 or 1/12, I won’t build any other scale in F1. I have Nigel’s Indy car Lola in 1/20 to do (only bought because it was Nigel’s car) but no others and won’t be adding anymore either. If I have the same cars in both 1/12 and 1/20 I aim to build in two different colour schemes or two different drivers.

All my WRC and Sports Cars are 1/24 and I’m not really bothered about adding any 1/12 to these.

The growing MFH 1/12 range is simply way too above what I’m prepared to pay for a kit so they don’t tempt me at that price, therefore my 1/12 kit collection very rarely gets added to, I have more than enough 1/20 & 1/24 to last my lifetime.

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

my collectin in 1/20...only possible because Tamiya and Michael Portaro....

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

F1, to me, just feel right in 1/20. Never got along with them in 1/24. I don't display my kits as such, just store them in storage bins for now so mis matching scales in display isn't an issue. I do build 1/24 but for GpC, WRC, touring cars etc.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Badi wrote:my collectin in 1/20...only possible because Tamiya and Michael Portaro....

Very nice! With Indycals, there are 20 possible builds (so far). What paint did you use for Piquet's car?

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Badi wrote:my collectin in 1/20...only possible because Tamiya and Michael Portaro....
THanks indeed!!! :shock: :shock: Really nice bunch.
Well, I see it's the same for all of us, we have all, as a group the same feelings. Some have only part of them (I admire the temper of those sticking to a single scale 8) Great, my friend Seamus!! :D ), and some of us have part of them or even them all.
I also as Stubeck am able to put together a 1/20 Lola, a 1/25 Penske, a 1/24 Delta 4WD, a TIE fighter too, a frog figure... I'll even raise the game adding a scale model of Levante UD football team stadium!!! :lol: :lol:

Surely the ideal thing is not mixing that much, and that's my aim.
I supose that the ideal thing is, if you have some "odd scale" models, devote a place apart for them.
I dont mind too much having 1/20 for F1 and 1/24 for "cars" as they are soooo different.
I dont regret Tamiya "creating" the 1/20 scale, as an F1 certainly looks better at this scale. What I am a bit angry is that ever there's some "extra" help like diecasts, it is (apart some rare exceptions) at 1/20.
I also understand the sorrow of tose who once saw the dawn of 1/24 in F1 as a real possibility only to see it vanish later on.
Then to bring in the military thing, no, I dont think they (us) are that angry: the thing is they have A LOT of scales that usually have ALL THE SUBJECTS...
We "fell to the Dark Side" and were unfaithful to our scale because we saw that Ferrari 146/85, MP4/2, Benetton B190, FW14... that were not available at "OUR" scale. Had they been at the same scale, same time, we would not have gotten them.
Those who chose 1/24 (for F1 I mean), knew well what the scenario was beforehand.
Now the thing is, once you have been unable to resist to a few 1/24s, vs a whole lot of 1/20s... do you keep the small ones?
I don't know what to do, as I see it's quite silly to make a big effort in making a 1/20 FW19, when I already have the 1/24 Revell built...
1/12 is another story. I should have kept my buying rate at low revs on this one, but well that is related to my insanity!!! :lol: :lol:

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

1/20 is limited in IndyCar subjects
MFH did Alonso and Sato's Indy 500 rides
Tamiya did the 1993 Lola for Nigel, Mario, and Boesel
(List is probably bigger, if you know of more then feel free to add).

Both of these have many options to build in other liveries thanks to the aftermarket, especially IndyCals.

So, what 1/20 IndyCars would interest the group? Are there any other IndyCars this group would like in 1/20?

I have an idea that I mentioned on a more IndyCar focused forum but would like to see the discussion here first before sharing here.

Jordan