SAME SUBJECT, different SCALE?

Ask away....

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

SAME SUBJECT, different SCALE?

Post by JamesB »

Hmmm… that’s a question I don’t know too well how to ask. It refers to variety of scales for a same subject and how we face that thing… OK I do know we consider “different objects” a 1/12th and a 120th, let alone a 1/43rd.
So that won’t bother us when we have the same model at these two or three scales. My doubt is what we do with scales that are closer… I mean, 1/18 and 1/20, or for the case that triggered my doubts on the thing,, 1/20 and 1/25 (or kinda 1/24), in particular with that “Chinese old jar” (we use that metaphor in Spain for big, valuable things you don’t know much what to do with) that is the Tamiya Lola T9300.
Most of us would have liked Tamiya to do this one at the scale considered mainstream for Indycar, yet we still love to have it near contemporary F1 cars or Mansell cars at same scale.
If there were an available 1/25 plastic Lola 93, we would not bother too much. Pick the ones you want at each scale. But considering the difficulty? Would you make an effort to have a car both at 1/20th and 1/25th?
But then guys what’s your approach on this one? Do all the ’93 cars you want and not even try to do any ’93 car at 1/25? Have both scales? I mean, how you elaborate the excuse to have an Indycar at 1/20?
I don’t look for a magical recipe, but would like to hear your views to see if that inspires me.

At first thought, me I have it clear: Do the 93-92-94 cars you can and you can get, and don't expend any extra effort in making 1/25th T9300... it'll be costly and it hardly will be any better than big T effort. But then you start thinking.... and if I make some changes? or will I miss a 1/25th champion near its less lucky '93 contenders?

Because there’s another question tied to that. Considering the Tamiya Lola is “versioneable” (even more with some transkit) what would you prefer:
-Having the Indy 500 winners at 1/20 (and forgetting about them among your 1/25th Indycar line up) of that era, basicly from 1990 to 1993 or 94 (which includes just one Lola), or…
-Having the Indycar Championship winners at 1/20 (and forgetting about them among your 1/25th Indycar line up, if necessary) of that era, basicly from 1990 to 1993 or 94 (which includes a few more Lolas)?
I launch the idea, please speak your thoughts….
BR
James

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: SAME SUBJECT, different SCALE?

Post by tubegenius »

I, for one an very glad the Tamiya Indy Lolas are 1/20. Probably would not have purchased them if they were 1/25. I like comparing apples with apples, when viewing them next to F-1.

Edit: These are the only Indy cars I will be building, so no need for me to worry about contrasting 1/20 and 1/25 in the same category.
Last edited by tubegenius on Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by feelgood »

I would absolutely love 1/25 T93!!!! (And T94, T95.......)

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

tubegenius wrote:These are the only Indy cars I will be building, so no need for me to worry about contrasting 1/20 and 1/25 in the same category.
feelgood wrote:I would absolutely love 1/25 T93!!!! (And T94, T95.......)
Thanks guys those are the two opposite aproaches I wa thinking of :D
Now, what about the grey area in between? :wink:
BTW, is there no (resin, sure) Lola 93?? :shock:

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

When I build cars they are mostly in 1/25 scale. I try to stay away from 1/24 as there are a clear size difference. But I don't build F1 cars in that scale. For them it is 1/20 for me.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Scale is an annoying thing.

I started build model cars from Tamiya which were all in 1/24 scale. Later I run into North America cars that are mostly 1/25. This is a bit annoying as 1/24 and 1/25 are close but not the same. Then when I looked at F1 models around early 90's, I found them too big to go with my other cars. Then Hasegawa came out a new series of 1/24 F1 cars. I buy a number of them and later found old F1 models from Protar in 1/24 and Revell Germany joined in the 1/24 F1 car camp later. Unfortunately, now the 1/24 F1 camp is dead again.

Tamiya should had never put out the 1/20 F1 cars :evil:
C K
Canada

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by feelgood »

CK wrote:Scale is an annoying thing.

I started build model cars from Tamiya which were all in 1/24 scale. Later I run into North America cars that are mostly 1/25. This is a bit annoying as 1/24 and 1/25 are close but not the same. Then when I looked at F1 models around early 90's, I found them too big to go with my other cars. Then Hasegawa came out a new series of 1/24 F1 cars. I buy a number of them and later found old F1 models from Protar in 1/24 and Revell Germany joined in the 1/24 F1 car camp later. Unfortunately, now the 1/24 F1 camp is dead again.

Tamiya should had never put out the 1/20 F1 cars :evil:

I couldn't agree more!!!

I like my F1, WSC, WRC and Indycars the (almost..) same scale.
So only 1/24 and 1/25 for me.... too bad no more 1/24 F1 lately, but my stash will keep me busy for the next couple of years!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

CK wrote:Scale is an annoying thing.
Yesss!!
I hate how there is a 1/18 die cast, 1/20 F1 cars, 1/24 cars, and 1/25 truck size. (Not to mention the rare 1/16 scale etc.)

One of the reasons I do not build cars in 1/24 is because I have started building F1 cars in 1/20.
Maybe it is a bit silly, but having 1/20 and 1/24 next to each other makes both of them look off. The F1 cars too big, or the others too small.

And while 1/24 is not that different from 1/20 when the models are built, I can see a small difference in the quality of both the kits, and the models when they are that one tiny bit too small. 1/20 is the "best" scale in terms of quality, collection size and cost for me.

I hope greatly for the emergence of 3D printing and home grown models that can be printed to any size, that will solve all of our problems ;)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I haven't really cared. In one of my shelves, I have a 1/72 Tie Fighter, a 1/20th McLaren, a 1/24th McLaren, and a 1/24th TS050. I'm needing to move things around a bit as my new models push out the old ones, and I'll likely keep shelves to a specific scale, but it hasn't really stopped me in the past.

notfound404
F3
F3
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
Great Britain

Post by notfound404 »

I'm mystified by the "Tamiya should had never put out the 1/20 scale cars .." statement.

So, it was okay for Ebbro, Fujimi, Beemax, MFH, Studio 27, Hasegawa, Wolf, Modelers etc to do this, but not for Tamiya?

Is this a chicken/egg scenario?