Topic author
PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Tamiya F1 2000 Question

Post by PJE »

I’m wanting to build a Tamiya F1 2000 kit as the 2000 USA Grand Prix winner. Pretty simple project as it looks to me that in reviewing all my sources, I can modify the kit wings with little difficulty.
My concern is the decals. Surprisingly, I have no aftermarket non Marly decals. I don’t even know if any were made. So, how good is the white in the kit decal? I have no problem painting the white on the wings, but the white panel on the engine cover is outlined with a black stripe.
How opaque are these white Tamiya decals? Would I be able to use the engine cover decal and paint the wings? Would I be able to get a close match?

Paul Erlendson

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya F1 2000 Question

Post by jaykay »

I doubt just the decal over red would match painted wings.
Why not paint the white on the cowling and then put the decal with the black outline on top?

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya F1 2000 Question

Post by gp-models »

The kit decals don`t cover the red fully, so you would have a different white on the rear wing. Even the aftermarket stuff does not cover the red fully, so best advise like Joachim said is to paint the area on the cowling. Don`t think too much about the black stripe framing the white, you can cut it quite easy from the decal and put it on the painted area, this should be no problem and bring you a good result in the end.
Start with the white, then cover up the M°?% area and paint the rest red. You can use a copy of the M?!% decals as gauge to cut a cover from masking tape for this, afterwards you cut of the Black outline with a bit of the white around, ready is the look you need. On most dark and especially red you have a bleeding through effect on white decals, so allways a good idea to paint such areas infront.
Take a stand!