Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Wired wheels lacing technique question

Post by Joaquin »

Can anybody explain a good and affordable technique to make wire wheels lacing from scratch? Wire by wire or continuous wire

I am planning to build the Fiat Mephistophele and the Alfa 8C this year but the kit rims are very bad. I have seen a couple videos butI'm not too convinced of the techniques used.

Thanks a lot!!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Wired wheels lacing technique question

Post by daniel »

Same situation here...I made new rims and hubs with my 3d printer and will use wire as spokes. Honestly I think it will be very difficult to make look right. I also added much more spokes then the kit wheels, because they have way to few.

If you use the kit parts, drill out the spokes and replace them with wire. But I would get me some straight rods instead of bended wire. One important thing to make is a jig you can use to have your hub and rims perfectly aligned/centered.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Gerald Wingrove's The Complete Car Modeller volume 1, gives a very detailed, step by step on the subject, including jigs. Since he is the master of the craft, it is not something you may want to tackle without a willing commitment to do it right. This is not a book for the mildly curious. Here is the book on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gerald+wingr ... _ss_i_1_18

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

You'd have to build yourself a tool, in spanish "un util", with position and angle for rim and hub (aro y buje) well secured.
A way to do it a bit "chapuzas" but would work (and be cheap) would be pressing the original rim into epoxy putty. When set, you'd have a tool tailored on your particular wheel.
Then remove wires and make holes, repleace them one by one. You may also add nuts at wires ends.
Continuous wire might have its advantages, but also will demand a certainflexibility from wire, and give problems finding room for wire bends, let aone introduce the tension factor (you won't stress the wire uniformly and that would bend the wheel).
I saw, I think, Kovalski (Mario, not Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino) doimg this with the 1/16 Academy Hispano Suiza, to great effect...
Hope this helps my friend
J

Ed: Here's a link to Mario's nice work. he opted for an even more practical way:
removing spoke pairs one by one, so the remaining ones keep all in place...
http://www.modelersite.com/Feb2005/Espa ... za_Esp.htm

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

15 years ago I showed my method of making wire wheels in scale 1/12 on "modeler site". But you need a lathe for turning rim and hub.Here are photos of my Aston Martin and Ferrari 375 plus where I replaced the ugly kit wheels. If there is enough interest I could think over showing it again on this forum.
Wire wheel Aston Martin DBR scale 1/12
Wire wheel Aston Martin DBR scale 1/12
Spokewheel 1.jpg
Spokewheel 4.jpg

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

Here are the Ferrari 375 Carrera Panamericana from Model Plus, original photo etched wheels replaced .Note different wire pattern at front and rear wheels.
DSCN4272.JPG
DSCN4273.JPG
DSCN4275.JPG
DSCN4276.JPG
DSCN4279.JPG
0036.JPG

rx-7
F2
F2

Post by rx-7 »

ferrarissimus wrote:15 years ago I showed my method of making wire wheels in scale 1/12 on "modeler site". But you need a lathe for turning rim and hub.Here are photos of my Aston Martin and Ferrari 375 plus where I replaced the ugly kit wheels. If there is enough interest I could think over showing it again on this forum.
Spokewheel.jpg
Spokewheel 1.jpg
Spokewheel 4.jpg
I would love to see any tutorials on wire wheel construction!

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Very nice ferrarissimus! I, for one, would love to see your method.

Nigel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Nigel »

Fernando Pinto is selling a set for the 8C on ebay for US $100. These appear to be resin with wire lace or photo etch.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

There is a very good tutorial written by Jurgen Kowalski of Germany on the Model Cars Magazine Forum:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topi ... ll-scales/

It would probably be a good idea to save that article in some fashion, being sure to get the larger photos by clicking on each of the images Jurgen included in his instructions, and then print it out to study carefully.

If anyone tries any of the techniques you find, please remember to post on F1M to share your experience with the rest of us! :)

Cameron