Long term project; 1982 grid 1/20 scale

Ask away....

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Long term project; 1982 grid 1/20 scale

Post by JamesB »

Steffen_T wrote: This link might be usefull as well. Mac's Modelling is offering driver decals for 12 1982 drivers. I have used them for my 1986 Elio de Angelis Brabham, and they worked fine. I just wonder where they come from. I haven't seen them anywhere else...

http://www.macsmodeling.com/1-20%20Decal%20STORE.htm
Thanks Steffen!!! hahahah whose this could be?? mistery, mistery!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mine... haha they're still available for sure.
And some new additions!!! :D
Nope, the F1 CREW did not have a gpa, but a "double eye" bell or simpson.
The Renaults and the Ligiers did...
I do have a nice gpa. Checked with a real gpa :) it's a corrected Tamiya but it's nice, and my decals are sized over my helmets.
I did every helmet from 1976 (Lauda's shunt one) till 2003 aprox 8)
and sure the moulds still work...
Thanks again for the review, Steffen, didn't know you got them from Mac without knowing

ED:

FAMILY PIC!!!

1st, simpson as used by Andretti (80), Piquet at some races of 80-81.
Second, the typical "everybody's" simpson-bell-agv, started fading in 1980, with further versions of bell and the gpa (absolute king in 1982) taing its place.
3rd Simpson Bandit (aka Vader) as used by Andretti (79), famously by Elio de Angelis, but also Lammers, Surer, Emmo, Mass...
4th gpa wide window, different to Tamiya's. Used by many before 1980, but quite specially by Arnoux (1982, 83...) and sometimes Laffite

WE are family!!! 8) :lol:

1st: The Arai with side plates, stormed the field, used by Rosberg (first) then Johansson, Brundle, Mansell, Berger, DE Angelis, Warwick....
2nd: Bell Star, extensely used in 1980, 81 82, 83. Reutemann, Rosberg (labelled agv!!),Patrese, Tambay, Lauda!!! Piquet (81 sometimes), Fabi, Senna, Mass, DE Angelis, MAnsell... many of them.
3rd AGV, 1975-76, used by Fittipaldi, Lauda...
4th: the "best seller" narrow window gpa. for instance, in 1982, bfff: Piquet, Henton, Daly, Watson, Winelhock, Guerrero, Prost, Mass, Boesel, Laffite, Villeneuve, Pironi, Jarier, Warwic... you'd end up naming the non-users. It seems the gpa salesman did a hell of a job in the winter of 1981 :lol:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

James, whilst we are on the topic of crash helmets, I'm looking for an Alessandro Nannini 1990 vintage if you can help in anyway?

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Interesting stuff cause i have a real GPA SJ that safed me 32 years ago in a crash, funny to see it replicated for modeling :)
Take a stand!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

daveyman wrote:James, whilst we are on the topic of crash helmets, I'm looking for an Alessandro Nannini 1990 vintage if you can help in anyway?
Interesting. Not yes, but I might have it quite fast.
Sandro used a BIEFFE, curious that some of this brand's units were surprisingly close to the navas. Maybe some connection between them?
Anyway, that's Sandro's one...

As usual, pics copyrighted by original owners if any, and reproduced here for scientifical reasons :wink:

You can see how this Bieffe loos similar to Nelson's 1982 NAVA that I got

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30707

recently....

Sorry to hijac a bit the thread, Roy!! :lol:

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

JamesB wrote: Thanks Steffen!!! hahahah whose this could be?? mistery, mistery!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mine... haha they're still available for sure.
The circle is now complete. :lol:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Yes sorry to hijack the thread. If you do think that you could make one of those I'd be interested. I'm making the B190 and it'd be nice to have Sandro either driving or his helmet on the side pod.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Steffen_T wrote: The circle is now complete. :lol:
Never underestimate the chance of making a StarWars quote... :lol:

Yes Davey, count on it!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks James, PM whenever you get to it. No rush from my end, modelling speed is currently ridiculously slow.

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

Well, thanks for the thread drift! Now I know where to go for helmets. JamesB, PMs will be coming your way soon.

Back to 1982.
Underside colours for Renaults. Tamiya suggest aluminium but dont specify where. Was all of the sidepods and the central monocoque bare aluminium under or were the sidepod bottoms carbon fibre (like the BT50)? Or even yellow?
The black on the lower half of the monocoque, matt, satin or gloss?

lastly for now, does anyone have experience of a brand of decals called TBDecals.com? As in accuray and workablity? Specifically the tabacco set for the Lotus 91?

Cheers,
Roy

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

In fact the most important thing on the RE30B is correcting two flaws of the Tamiya kit, one easy, one not.
1st, the nose should have its edges rounded (specially the foremost upper side edges)
2nd: the radiators exits has an abrupt ramp, whie it shoud be a curve as on the Heller 1/24 kit. Hard to correct due to the position of the area to be sanded.
Yes chassis is painted black under the nose area (satin, saw it live), and probably the non visible areas are either black or bare aluminum. Sidepods panels were either CF or fiberglass, judging by the sturdy heat shields under the exhausts. So probably painted black, as the body interior was.
Nose blue/orange stickers shape and size varied depending on the race, even absent sometimes.