Long term project; 1982 grid 1/20 scale

Ask away....

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Long term project; 1982 grid 1/20 scale

Post by alesi27 »

Advice/tips appreciated. Plan to build as many as available, OOB, plastic preferred, resin ok but will be restricted by cost. Ideally want 2 of each but realistically need to budget appropriate to my means!
Have 1 BT50 built and 1 in the post for no2, Shunko decals with notions of converting a third for Patreses BT49D Monaco.
2 Tamiya RE30s on the bench with Studio27 decals coming from HLJ hopefully.
Will try a Tamiya FW07 as can't afford a FW08 yet. Are there decals to do the 82 car?
One Fujimi 126c out of box. Need to order a second for no.28 Are the kit decals ok for this?
Ebbro Lotus 91 on the way from EBay to do Elios car from Austria. Reccomend decals?
See the Alfa 182 on Scalemates. Anyone got it yet?

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Re: Long term project; 1982 grid 1/20 scale

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

This sounds really awesome! I look forward to seeing it move along.
With budget in mind, you could possibly convert the Williams FW07 from Tamiya to a McLaren MP4/1B. The front wing-less FW07 could pass for an MP4/1 with an extension of the rear deck, a new rear wing mount, and a little sidepod modifications. The bodywork otherwise (especially the difficult stuff) is pretty similar.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Wow! That is an ambitious project!
Do you have a specific race in mind?
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

Nah, I won't get bogged down in the details too much as I'll never get anything done otherwise. As I said OOB as much as possible as they are for me, no one else. I would like some specifics though, like doing the two Ferraris as they were at imola and Patrese's Monaco winning BT49d. Those are the two races I remember like it was yesterday. I've Piquet's BT50 as per Canada but thats as per box. An ideal I suppose would be each winning car as they were at the win rather than one race. On reflection I suppose I have to do Rosbergs FW08 as the champion. Wouldn't be much of a collection otherwise.
When I say long term I mean long term. It's taken 3 years from finishing the first car to starting the second and third cars. Be lucky to have all the available injection moulded kits done by the end of the decade. ..

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

That’s one hell of a project! That must/will cost a small fortune. How many of the cars have you bought so far? Are you in the US? Are you taking kit donations? I’d like to see this project reach completion, so if I can help out with a kit, maybe two, I’d like to. I live in the US. We can discuss shipping in a PM if you are interested.

Jeff_G
F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

Good luck!!

I am doing something similar, but with 1990. I am only going to do 1 car from each team due to cost/ time. I am also focusing on one specific race, which probably was a mistake as it does complicate things especially when it comes to markings (at least for the French GP that year).

I started with the readily available cars in plastic, then started started to collect resin kits off of this site, ebay, and yahoo Japan auctions. I did end up spending too much on a few. I currently have 11 of 19 teams represented, with 3 built and one ready for paint.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

That's a cool project!
And in terms of available cars 1982 is a good choice too.
Not mentioned by you are the Tyrrell, ATS and March. Resin kits of these teams are available too.

Have you noticed the recent releases by Beemax? So far they have released and announced these cars in plastic:

1984 McLaren MP4/2 - worldchampion
1985 McLaren MP4/2B - worldchampion
1983 Brabham BT52 & BT52B - worldchampion
Announced 1986 McLaren MP4/2C - worldchampion

Do you notice the pattern? If they continue like this, we might see a Brabham BT49 and a Williams FW08 at some point in the future.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

PM sent! 8) the first of quite a few I suspect. :wink:

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Lets start off with a question on Helmets in 1/20. I've discovered that my figure of Piquet has the wrong style of helmet yet Tamiya included this style in the earlier JS11 kit. It's also wrong for Patrese different style again (my second Brabham kit just landed yesterday). While I can make resin copies of the correct GPA lid for Nelson I need to find a good aftermarket for the style of Patrese and the Simpson used by DeAngelis. I've seen a few on ebay so wondering on the collective groups opinon on these and what I should get and what I should avoid?
happy to see that the RE30 kit also has the correct GPA for both Arnoux and Prost....

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

IIRC the old Tamiya pit crew set includes a GPA helmet.
Apart from that I can highly recommend GF-models. Franck, who is also a member here, has two late 70's early 80's helmet sets amongs his offerings. The Simpson helmet is not included in these sets it seems, but also available with the Mario Andretti figure gf-20-024:

http://www.gf-models.eu/gf-models_010.htm

This link might be usefull as well. Mac's Modelling is offering driver decals for 12 1982 drivers. I have used them for my 1986 Elio de Angelis Brabham, and they worked fine. I just wonder where they come from. I haven't seen them anywhere else...

http://www.macsmodeling.com/1-20%20Decal%20STORE.htm