Can This Be Fixed?

Ask away....

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Can This Be Fixed?

Post by SeanMAIN »

Hello and Happy New Year.

I have an 1/8 Jaguar XJR-9 that's rear wing has drooped over time. I assume the prior owner left it in the sun or heat and over time, it is no longer straight. The paint/decal is in very good condition, and I am wondering with a little heat and over a period of time, can the be reversed? I think it is resin, but I am not sure. I feel it is worth a try. If it doesn't work, I can always make another one. The cars paint has yellowed a bit as well, so another thought is to strip it down and paint it in Silk Cut colors, but that is a pretty but project. Not sure I can pull that one off.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Attachments
Wing3.jpg
Wing1.jpg
Wing2.jpg

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: Can This Be Fixed?

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Maybe you can heat it with a hair dryer and slowly coax it back into shape. I've done it, along with many people here. Will depend a bit on the material. Take it slow, don't try to bend it back too quickly and break it.
Hope it works out for you.

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Thank you, Chris. I have fixed 3D parts that way with good luck.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

What about putting a weight on the high spot, and letting it sit in a warm place for a while?

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

tubegenius wrote:What about putting a weight on the high spot, and letting it sit in a warm place for a while?
That idea could work. I would be inclined to position a heavy square item right next to each of the wing end plates. The vertical side of the square item should help prevent the wing from bowing too far downwards due to the downwards pressure being placed on the wing element. This would help keep the end plates square and possibly lessen the chance of warpage.

Another idea I would also consider would be placing a piece of solid material underneath the bowed wing, cut to precisely the height required. Combined with the above scenario, this method may also prevent the wing from further deformation.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.
Last edited by Paul_OFarrell on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

The wing has two elements, so I have to be pretty careful. I will place something between the endplates, under the wings to limit the bend back to where is should be. I’m not so worried about breaking it as much as I am damaging the paint. I will try some weights to help it along.

It’s the second time I’ve owned this car and the first one showed signs of the same flaw.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

I would say heat it carefully with a hairdryer, both sides until the part becomes "soft" Flexible, take your time and don't overheat. then place it on a horizontal block that fits between the end plates and place a weight with the same length on top of the wing. let it cool like this.
Good luck!

Hein

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

As a precaution, before heating, I would take a good picture of the decals involved on the top as well as measurements, just in case it becomes a total repair with a repaint being necessary and new decals are needed.

Actually, the decal guys on this site could probably tell you what you need, "just in case".

REgards,

Joe.

alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

If it's resin, putting it into very hot (not boiling) water might restore its shape without even forcing it. Worth a try.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Update. 10 minutes with my wife’s hairdryer and one of her books and it fell right into place. The book was an exact fit between the endplates and it all worked out perfectly. No damage to the paint.

Thanks for the advice. I was certain I’d screw it up, but with your help, not today.