FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

MFH Decals and Setting Solutions

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

Thinking ahead with my current ( and first ) MFH project, I recall previous instances where MFH decals have been mentioned as being quite thick resulting in issues where the decals do not always conform nicely to the surface they have been applied to.

To be honest, I'm unsure of which decal setting solutions I will need to successfully apply MFH decals.

I wish to ask for the general consensus of which specific decal setting solutions are deemed as the best fit for this purpose?

I have enjoyed success with Micro Set and Micro Sol for Tamiya, Studio 27 and SMS Motorpsort decals. However, as this is my first MFH project, I wonder if I need to consider different decal setting solutions?

Thanks in advance for the replies...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.
Last edited by Paul_OFarrell on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: MFH Decals and Setting Solutions

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Microscale sol og set won't get you very far with some of the older MFH decals. They have recently changed manufacturer of their decals, so if your kit is 'newish' it may not have the problem?

Solvaset, Daco strong and a japanese variant sold in the Barchetta shop are very handy, together with heat (hairdryer) and hot water. But it all depends on how big the decals are. If it is just smaller decals, the problem is not big. If it is something like the 1:12 1970 Hippie Porsche you are in for som problems with the fluo decals.

Flemming

Topic author
Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Thanks for replying Flemming.

The kit is not overly old but it's not new either. It's the 1:12 Lotus 77. Not sure when it was released but it must be at least 5 years old now.

I was hoping to catch Alex Nahooy's attention with this question because he has built this kit and his finished result is magnificent.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

The Lotus 77 is typically not that bad because the decals are quite "small" and quite "limited". The Hippie 917 is "worst case" with big delicate fluo decals going around complex surfaces all over the model. As a "rule" fluo decals are the worst - for some reason they are always tricky and tend to crack as soon as they get just close to water. When I build the 1/12 Hippie I made a "bath" using 4 Daco strong bottles - the bath was something like 5 minutes - and then the decals went into a "soft mode" where it was possible to apply them on the model.
Br
Allan