Topic author
vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari. Or any Australian driver
Australia

Decal problem

Post by vassa »

Guys , I have a problem with a decal sheet , where I have started to remove the cover paper and discovered spots or marks on the decal. Does anyone know how to remove these marks or if they will disappear once applied and clear coated. I hope you can see what I mean in Picture
42A0D119-446D-422D-9356-9C1B7DD90116.jpeg
[attac
Regards Wayne

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Decal problem

Post by gp-models »

Had such decals too in the past and i check them with a wet (not totaly wet) cotton swab. Wipe over the decal somewhere in the middle, not at an edge, if this milky dots stay when beeing wet, they will be visible once clear coated. If they are not visible when wet, they won`t be visible once clear coated. Personaly i think they will not be visible finaly, check it out ;)
Take a stand!

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

gp-models wrote:Had such decals too in the past and i check them with a wet (not totaly wet) cotton swab. Wipe over the decal somewhere in the middle, not at an edge, if this milky dots stay when beeing wet, they will be visible once clear coated. If they are not visible when wet, they won`t be visible once clear coated. Personaly i think they will not be visible finaly, check it out ;)
That's really smart advice - filing this away in my head should I ever encounter something similar
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Australia

Post by vassa »

Thanks for the advice. I have tried your suggestion and they are still visible. Anyone else have an idea?
Regards Wayne

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Was there a paper film over the top of the decals, like Studio27 sometimes do, to protect them? Did that paper film stick to the top of the ink?

Or does this look like something that caused ink color to stick to the protective plastic envelope and it has actually removed color?

If it's the First one above, then it's possible that paper residue can be removed if you are careful. Sometimes the wet cotton swab will do it, other times they can be (possibly) polished off the surface of the ink.

If it was me, and the wiping of water over the top of the purple area still showed that there is a spot, I would (very carefully) try to use to some Tamiya fine or finish polishing compound on a very small area of the least critical decal that you have. If you carefully polish that decal area with only a cotton swap and it doesn't remove the residue, then it's possible that some of the colored ink was pulled away from the base film.

If none of that works, are these decals from a recent kit that can be obtained as spares? Just trying all thoughts here.

Best,
AJ

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

AJP01 wrote:Was there a paper film over the top of the decals, like Studio27 sometimes do, to protect them? Did that paper film stick to the top of the ink?

Or does this look like something that caused ink color to stick to the protective plastic envelope and it has actually removed color?

If it's the First one above, then it's possible that paper residue can be removed if you are careful. Sometimes the wet cotton swab will do it, other times they can be (possibly) polished off the surface of the ink.

If it was me, and the wiping of water over the top of the purple area still showed that there is a spot, I would (very carefully) try to use to some Tamiya fine or finish polishing compound on a very small area of the least critical decal that you have. If you carefully polish that decal area with only a cotton swap and it doesn't remove the residue, then it's possible that some of the colored ink was pulled away from the base film.

If none of that works, are these decals from a recent kit that can be obtained as spares? Just trying all thoughts here.

Best,
AJ
I wonder if you applied the decals and then polished them if that would solve the problem? .....assuming they come off the paper at all.

Topic author
vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Australia

Post by vassa »

[quote="AJP01"]Was there a paper film over the top of the decals, like Studio27 sometimes do, to protect them?

This is the case. They are MFH decals.
Regards Wayne

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Vassa,

If I understand this matter correctly, the protective paper has left a little residue on the decal sheet surface, yes?

I've had similar issues with protective paper sticking to the decal and leaving some marks on the decal.

After successfully removing the protective sheet, AJ's idea of using Tamiya Cutting compound should work. Rub a very small amount onto the surface and rub very gently in small circular motions. The abrasive nature of the compound will eventually clean off the residual paper marks. Be careful with this process as it will polish the surface of the decal and make it appear shiny. Carefully wipe away any remaining compound with a fresh Q-tip.

Please be sure to test this method on a decal you won't be using and compare the before and after results under strong light. You'll see what I mean about the shine, but this method should also successfully remove the marks.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.