Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Gravity Europe vs Zero Paints Pros & Cons

Post by Joaquin »

I haven't any experience with any of both. Which pros & cons have you found in your experience?
I'm asking mainly about coberture of the surface, difficulty to get fine results, orange peel or other defects, possible decal problems after varnish applying and so on.

Thanks a lot!!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Gravity Europe vs Zero Paints Pros & Cons

Post by JamesB »

J, a local modeling fellow says gravity are much more comfortable to use.
Me I haven't tried Gravity (but yes gravity, law of :lol: :lol: ), but Zero are quite user friendly, though you have to be ready for it not building up. I mean, do not expect paint to take a share of primer's role.
It's like changing color of things with Photoshop... :shock:
That said, that makes them great for small parts and for 1/43.

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

JamesB wrote: though you have to be ready for it not building up. I mean, do not expect paint to take a share of primer's role.
What does it mean? Are there possible problems with wet coats or it is requiered more coats to get an opaque color?
Ein? :?:

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

I've used both. You do not put a wet coat of either paint. They both require a clearcoat to get the desired sheen. Zero does make a few colors that are gloss and semi gloss but I have yet to try any. My preference is for Gravity, they have great customer service and they will ship to me in the USA. Zero paints are harder for me to get but I like their paint too. Zero to me seems a little hotter, it will bite into your primer coat a little more aggressively then Gravity. Just my opinion, both good quality paints.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Joaquin wrote: What does it mean? Are there possible problems with wet coats or it is requiered more coats to get an opaque color?
Ein? :?:
Second sentence answers first question. It's literally like that: color changes, yes like Photoshop, but you don't see the "phisical" paint build up. Scratches, whatever you left on last priming/sanding will stay, but color is what you paint. So yes, it gets opaque really soon, though the coat is ultra thin.
And yes, the "wet coat" concept does not play here. Gloss will come with clear coat.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

With Zero paints I usually give myself a bunch of time to build up the coats. Some of them are better than others (Gloss white strangely builds up pretty well), and I'm still learning how to not paint too much at once. I ran into issues with the Gulf Mclaren F1 with doing too wet of a coat that ate through the primer with Zero paint for example. Completely my fault.

I only have one time using Gravity and it has gone reasonably well. Getting it is a problem but that has been gone over multiple times here. I've also had issues with getting paint from the US Zero paint distributor as well.

Another company I'd recommend is looking at Splash Paints. I've been happy with them and they go on quick. The Ferrari paint I got for the F2003 was too dark, but that seems to be a constant problem with this car.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

I’ve been using Zero Paints with excellent results. Yes. The paint is hot, but can be applied with very thin coats. No wet coats please, because the paint can eat thru the primer into the plastic. The 2k clears are excellent. No issues whatsoever. There is a great selection of paints, because they can make whatever color you want. I haven’t used Gravity, so have no comments on that. There is also a new kid on the block. DSColors.com. It’s located in Belgium and makes excellent paints. They are also automotive, but are not hot. No need for multiple coats also, bevause the pigments of the paints is excellent.
Best regards,
Lesley

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Zero are nice to use.

I’d suggest some caution re gravity (unless you are in the us).

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

43rdMichael wrote:Zero are nice to use.

I’d suggest some caution re gravity (unless you are in the us).
Please explain your concerns with Gravity paints (I'm considering them for an up-coming project)...
Thanx, Querque (Located on "Left Coast" USA)

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Recommend you do some searching as a lot has been covered. Gravity US and Europe split, and there is some bad blood between the two. I'm not sure what the issues with Europe are, but Gravity US has had issues with fulfilling orders in a timely manner at points. This may be better at this point.