Chemical or Thermal colouring for Photo-Etch?

Ask away....

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Chemical or Thermal colouring for Photo-Etch?

Post by dr_gn »

Guys,

I want to colour stainless steel photo-etch somehow. I don't want to coat it with paint, but rather dull the shiny finish to something more akin to dark bronze. It's for various brackets on the Top Studio MP4/6 engine set.

I tried heating it in a gas flame and allowing to cool, but it's a bit onconsistent, and sometimes I'm left with the rainbow effect, which I don't want.

Is there a chemical (or other) method of subduing the shiny photo-etch? I know you can turn brass etch black with proprietry solutions, but stainless, Im not so sure.

Thanks in advance!

bojangle5
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes AMG F1
United States of America

Re: Chemical or Thermal colouring for Photo-Etch?

Post by bojangle5 »

You might try an alcohol lamp and a brass tray with very fine brass chips. Its the same way high-end SS watch parts are blued. You would just need to be careful not to reach an actual blue temper as the colors I think you are looking for will come just before blue. Also the part must be free of ALL oils or you will end up with the inconsistencies you've already encountered. Acetone is the best for cleaning SS parts in my experience. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uST7iJgC_gs

PS: This is a great YouTube channel if you are interested in horology even in the least.

PSS: Your MP4/6 rebuild is looking amazing! That's whats next for me after I finish my MP4/5.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Have you seen the chemical blackeners like Blacken-It?

Jordan

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

dr_gn wrote:Guys,

I want to colour stainless steel photo-etch somehow. I don't want to coat it with paint, but rather dull the shiny finish to something more akin to dark bronze. It's for various brackets on the Top Studio MP4/6 engine set.

I tried heating it in a gas flame and allowing to cool, but it's a bit onconsistent, and sometimes I'm left with the rainbow effect, which I don't want.

Is there a chemical (or other) method of subduing the shiny photo-etch? I know you can turn brass etch black with proprietry solutions, but stainless, Im not so sure.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dr,

You've mentioned you wanted to avoid paint, but would several heavily thinned acrylic washes help at all? The buildup would be gradual and you'd be able to tint your wash with numerous clear colours available in Tamiya's acrylic range.

I've used the same process to great effect on enamel painted Hewland gearboxes etc.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Thanks guys!

I’ve looked at chemical blackeners, but not sure which to try - some are very expendive.

The issue I have with thinned paints/washes or coatings is that if they get chipped, it’s a pain to touch them up consistently.