Ask away....

Topic author
gderoo
Formula e
Formula e

Masking tape problem

Post by gderoo »

I have following problem:

Even though the model is covered with masking tape, at the border of the masking tape sometimes the paint
gets under it. that is a real problem if there is already another color off paint present and especially when it is
on the finishing layers.

Is there anyone that has some usefull tips to help prevent this.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Re: Masking tape problem

Post by Tyrone »

One the tape is applied do a very fine coat bit the existing colour again, this makes any paint that would seep under be the matching colour. Then spray the new colour.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

You can also use clear. In either case, this extra coat might require you to lightly run your knife blade against the edge of the tape to ensure a sharp (sorry) line when you remove the tape.

Joe.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

The problem with bleed under is two fold. The first is the surface that you are putting it on. At a microscopic level it is rough and the tape cannot get down in the little valleys in the paint to seal it. If you wet sand your paint to get it close to polished, the tape will seal better. Just use fine grit sand papers. Micro mesh has grits as fine as 12000. Don't use polishing compounds EVER at this stage. Most contain silicon and will cause fisheyes in your finish.

Second issue may be type of tape you are using. Scotch blue painters tape is good for walls and heavy house paints but is not flexible enough for model work. It is fine for a general covering but not color separation. I prefer Tamiya tapes and Fine line auto pinstriping tapes. Once you lay out the line, burnish it down with a small hardwood dowel or good quality toothpick. You just need to do the edge. Paint immediately after burnishing. Don't let it sit overnight before painting. It can pull up in that time.

Last I also use the prior two suggestions if I can and I have to be absolutely certain I will not get bleed under. Either the base color or clear works well. Be sure you use a thin coat. You want to limit the build up at the edge of the paint or you will wind up with a ridge that is difficult to sand down without sanding through the paint.

There is one last technique that you can use but it is risky. You can cut the tape in. Lay the tape on the model covering the area to be pained and then with a sharp scalpel or hobby knife cut the tape to the shape you want. The slight cut line between the tape and the paint will seal perfectly. However, this takes some serious skill with a knife and extreme patiences. Not a project to rush.
Last edited by PeteJ on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

When i tape off my model with Tamiya tape, i always give the masking tape a coat Gunze liquid masking neo. It’s the same as maskol, but it doesn’t smell.
Best regards,
Lesley

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all,

I don’t trust the edge of the tape to be perfectly straight, so I usually stick a length of tape down on a piece of glass and cut the existing edge away using a new blade and a metal ruler.

I then follow the process which Pete has already described earlier.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
gderoo
Formula e
Formula e

Post by gderoo »

Thank you all for the tips and hints, I can try out some of your techniques.

As I am still working on a first model since years I've done this. This model is just a tryout to improve my skills before getting to the real stuff but still trying to make it look ok. Meanwhile I'm learning the hard way... Yesterday I sprayed the body with a can (not a paintbrush) for the first layer. of course I put on too much at once so I got paint run... Meanwhile I didn't wait for it to dry, so I removed the excess paint immediatly. Then I started over again after sanding it first.

So I'm trying to get back into the groove after all these years.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Paul_OFarrell wrote:Hi all,

I don’t trust the edge of the tape to be perfectly straight, so I usually stick a length of tape down on a piece of glass and cut the existing edge away using a new blade and a metal ruler.

I then follow the process which Pete has already described earlier.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz
Paul, good thought! I know that when a roll of tape has been in the drawer for a while, it gets lint and other debris sticks to the edge. This would also be a good way to clean that up and make sure you have a good clean edge to start with.