Topic author
gderoo
Formula e
Formula e

Detail up kits for 1/20

Post by gderoo »

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about the detail up set from studio 27

As a kid I used to do the F1 kits, and I recently restarted my hobby after serval years.

It's the first time I will use some of the Studio 27 detail sets in my new projects

I will be makeing the Mclaren MP4/4 , Jordan B191 and Lotus T99 all Tamiya 1/20 scaled.

Now my question about the detail up parts is this:
Do I need to apply a primer coat on the update parts prior to painting it with the corresponding zero paint color and Tamiya TS13 clear?
And If so, Would the primer from Tamiya be ok to do so?
And what is the best way to stick these parts to the model? I always use the tamiya cement or fine cement for the models and I never used
update parts before.
Any Ideas an tips are welcome, as I want to make the models as realistic as possible.

Kind regards.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Detail up kits for 1/20

Post by bossy122 »

Welcome back to the hobby. First off: avoid TS13 like the plague. It will melt your decals. Lots of people use different clears, I use good ol' Testors rattle can clear.
Tamiya Primer works very well.
You have to use a super glue or epoxy for metal parts ( and for anything else that isn't plastic).
My bit of advice is: when you remove pieces you will have burs from the "sprue". The best way I have found is to use a knife sharpening stone to rub them down. I'm sure more members will have other useful tips. This is a very good site for getting help on.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Detail up kits for 1/20

Post by stubeck »

Welcome back! You do need to apply a primer for any parts you put Zero on, and the tamiya primer will be fine. It will eat the plastic otherwise. I personally haven't had issues with TS13 clear but many others have. The biggest thing to do is test it on a plastic spoon beforehand so you don't mess up the actual car.

I use a mixture of super glue and liquid glue myself. The only problem I run into with the liquid glue is not getting it everywhere, so I typically only use it prior to painting the part or where it doesn't matter if it doesn't look great.