FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Carving New Panel Lines

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

One area of modelling where I need to find a better technique concerns carving of new panel lines - specifically how to rescribe them while keeping the depth of the carved panel line consistent.

I have used the back of a no.11 blade on previous projects. While I managed to keep a straight line, maintaining an even depth proved to be quite difficult.

Hopefully those who have mastered the art of panel line scribing will share their information here. I would be very interested to learn about different methods and techniques.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Carving New Panel Lines

Post by Noddy »

I've tried pointed scribers and the back of X-Acto blades but I'm currently experimenting with micro chisels which have the advantage of not tapering. The line does not become V-shaped but has sides perpendicular to the bottom. They are available in various widths. Trumpeter and Mission Model are two brand names that make such things in the 1 - 3 mm range. There are smaller sizes down to .2mm from BMC (Sujiborido on Hobby Search / 1999). I believe there are also some on Taobao the Chinese search site - along with some other interesting tools including a chisel sharpening tool made with a roller bearing.

Moskie
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Moskie »

You could ask or search for what airplane modellers use. They rescribe pannelines all the time.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Hey Paul.
for most of my builds i use the Tamiya panel scriber.Its a great thing who works fine.I sanded the plastic parts around a bit so the angle i can use it is a bit higher.

And the mini files got different shapes and rounding.I sanded some of them on one site .So i get a finer line when i need it.
The templates are very good for edges and rounding.

But making new panel lines is hard.It depends on the material your source is.A resin body is better.A printed 3d body is nearly impossible for making fine lines.
Its a try and error thing.
Making lines,using putty,sanding the putty,use some primer,and start again.
And dont forget my stuff is for 1/12 scale. The Tamiya panel scriber would be to big for smaller scales.

regards Christian
Attachments
k3_0256.jpg
k3_0255.jpg
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Topic author
Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Having considered the tools available I went online and bought myself a Universal Scribing tool made by Umm.

Youtube was also very helpful in making my mind up for me !!

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Bit late but I use an Olfa P Cutter. Bit like the Tamiya cutter shown above, it actually removes a small sliver of plastic, rather than pushing the plastic aside like a knife blade does. Always works well and no sanding or cleaning of the line once cut..
Steve Noble

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

You can use some of the photo-etched saws, or something similar. Even if it's hard to maintain a consistent depth, the width would look consistent.
I use the right side of a hobby knife to mark the line, then deepen it with a PE saw-like scriber (Satellite Pen Liner set). I also use one of the Tamiya's PE saw set (0.15 mm thick) with a good result.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

The rule for panel scribers is just about anything goes. Many guys I know just use a pin chucked in a pin vise all the way up to more expensive versions of the same thing. Pin-shaped for curvy areas and photoetch says for the straights. Tamiya made several sets with different thicknesses.

My only suggestion is to practice on a sheet of plastic until you get a feeling for the depth you are cutting. If you are deepening a shallow line it is easier. Don't go too fast. If you are cutting a new line use a guide. Many airplane modelers use Dymo tape. Only one real rule for me, Never push the tool. Pulling gives you way more control.

Hope this helps a little.

Joe.