Tamiya panel line paint

Ask away....

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Tamiya panel line paint

Post by cooperclimax1 »

I'm wondering at what step is the best time to apply this to a model. After the model has been painted and gloss coated or before the gloss coat? I'm thinking after the gloss coat but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks in advance.

Coop

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Tamiya panel line paint

Post by M.Chriss »

Yes, after the gloss cote. Depending on what gloss cote you are using, the Tamiya panel line paint is enamel and you can wipe it off or correct it with mineral spirits, (enamel thinner), without affecting the paint underneath.
Michael Chriss

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

I will be using Tamiya paint in most cases.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Coop,

Assuming your colour coats are either lacquer or enamel, apply the clear gloss coat(s) and make sure it's all totally dry.

I highly recommend using a thinned ACRYLIC paint as a panel line wash. Why acrylic? Read on...

It is really important to use the right type of paint for panel line washes, otherwise your wash mix could etch into the underlying paint and make a mess of your perfect paintwork. Lacquer paint is chemically hot and will etch into everything. Enamel is less hot, but in my experience it can also create compatibility problems. Between lacquer enamel and acrylic, it is acrylic which is the least damaging and easiest to apply. This reply is written on the assumption that the existing colour coats and clear coats on your model are NOT acrylic paint.

Tamiya acrylic paint will work fine for panel line washes, but Mr Color or Gunze Sangyo acrylic paint works equally well.

Mix the acrylic paint and thinners in a small upturned lid or a paint pallet if you use one. Be sure to use clean and fresh acrylic thinners only. Do not use water.

Aim to have the panel line wash mixed to the consistency of milk. Too thick a wash will not flow along the panel lines. Too thin will have the underlying colour showing through.

Take a medium sized pointed brush and apply a dab of the wash mix directly into the panel line. Watch it flow along the line. At this stage don't be too concerned if you get a little of the wash mix outside the line.

Let the wash dry completely. The wash mix needs to be totally dry before the next step.

Inevitably, there will be areas where the wash mix got outside the panel line. For any areas where the dried wash mix needs to be removed, this can be done by gently rubbing the area with a cotton bud dipped sparingly into clean acrylic thinners. Be sure to rub the slightly dampened cotton bud carefully alongside the line, not across the line. Try to avoid letting any thinners flow into the panel line if possible. Rub the area slowly and gently in one direction only. Work slowly and you will see the wash mix begin to disappear from the area you are cleaning.

The best idea is to practice this method on an old car body first. Apply a dab or two of wash onto the straight panel lines. Watch how the wash mix flows. Apply it also into corners where two panel lines meet and again watch how the mix flows. Keep practicing until you get your techniques down pat. Make deliberate errors and practice cleaning away any over-spill.

Trail and error is the key to successfully applying panel line washes.

Personally I would steer clear of enamel wash, especially if the underlying paint is also enamel. In this case, an enamel panel line wash will etch into the underlying paint. So will a lacquer based wash.

Stick to acrylics and you'll be fine.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

Paul,
Thanks or your information. Like I mentioned I'll be using Tamiya in most cases.