Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Another "What Airbrush to buy" question thread

Post by PeteJ »

Noddy wrote:
MoFo wrote:
PeteJ wrote:(the basic gun can be had for about $299) but have you considered an Iwata LPH-50 with a .4 mm tip?
Always buy Iwata airbrushes direct from Japan. The LPH-50 is under $200 from Japan.
Can you recommend a reliable and easy-to-deal with source?
I can't speak to the japanese connection for airbrushes but Stateside I use Coast Airbrush. It is close to me here in So Cal and they have been in business for a very long time and the sales people are all airbrush artist who know what they are talking about. They also have parts for everything. Oh and one suggestion for what we do. Paul Budzik uses the LPH-50 with a standard paint cup. I have never used the paint cup. I prefer the bottle attachment. It uses the standard airbrush bottles. I find it much easier to clean up than the large cup. You can use all sizes of bottles and that way you can seal the connection and keep the leftover paint in the bottle. I keep a separate bottle of thinner handy. It is great for a quick clean out when you change colors.
https://www.coastairbrush.com/

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Noddy wrote:
MoFo wrote:
PeteJ wrote:(the basic gun can be had for about $299) but have you considered an Iwata LPH-50 with a .4 mm tip?
Always buy Iwata airbrushes direct from Japan. The LPH-50 is under $200 from Japan.
Can you recommend a reliable and easy-to-deal with source?
I've bought from HLJ in the past. The G5 was under $200 when it was $450-500 in the US. They don't have it in stock at the moment though. I'm thinking I might just wait until I'm in JApan this summer to pick one up if nothing comes up.

Can anyone help with some confusion about the spray pattern. My G5 works great for bodies but doesn't work great for smaller parts or for detail areas, which is a bit of a concern if I go strictly to spray guns. https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/lph-50-s ... w-cup.html lists the LPH-50 .4 MM needle as having a spray pattern of 40 MM which is quite wide, but only an output of 8 ml/min. For my G5, https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... 903-IM.pdf has a crazy 220 ml/min while seemingly having a spray pattern of 50mm.

Can that be right? Or per normal am I completely misreading what its saying?

wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Post by wadny »

wadny wrote:
I got a Grex Tritium.TG last year, and have been using it regularly. It's a pistol grip type, and you can get 0.2, 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7mm nozzle/needle sets. They also have conversion sets to change to a fan-pattern spray for larger area coverage. It's a solid, well-built device, relatively easy to disassemble and clean, and has teflon seals so it will handle automotive paints with no problems. The trigger action is easy to control and more comfortable than the top trigger style, at least in my estimation. The airbrush set is available for around $210.

Parts of it look to be plastic, hows it holding up?
The only plastic parts are the trigger cover and the handle, and they are both holding up just fine. If needed, parts are readily available. I haven't needed any replacement bits yet, although I just ordered a fan spray adapter for the 0.5 nozzle/needle set that I got recently.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

I haven't heard of mini spray guns until I saw this thread. I've been looking to buy a new airbrush soon but the LPH-50 really appeals to me. What kind of compressor is needed for this though? I'm currently using this for an Iwata NEO:

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressor-Airbru ... hen&sr=1-3

Just trying to get a complete picture on how much I'd actually have to spend for an LPH-50 setup, because the spray gun itself isn't very expensive for what it is.
http://www.f1modelling.com

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

As model makers do we really need something as large as the LPH-50? to me that's more a mini spray gun set up, which needs a far more powerful compressor to run it smoothly. I would have thought that something of that size would be more suited to smart repairers working on 1:1 vehicles? Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but it seems overkill for the 1/24th and 1/20th models I build..
Steve Noble

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

You don't fill it all the way to the top with paint, and it sprays with almost nothing in it as well. The biggest thing about spray guns is they don't have overspray like a "normal" airbrush does, and they also spray in a much wider pass, so the finish you'll get is much better. Saying that, you do want the .4 mm noozle and not the 1mm one as that spray pattern is a bit crazy.

It took me a while to get used to, but I'm able to paint just fine with an Iwata compressor with my G5.

The only problem I've ever run into is painting small parts still requires a normal airbrush. If I prime suspension parts for example it takes a lot of passes to get it right with the G5.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

SebLeung wrote:I haven't heard of mini spray guns until I saw this thread. I've been looking to buy a new airbrush soon but the LPH-50 really appeals to me. What kind of compressor is needed for this though? I'm currently using this for an Iwata NEO:

Just trying to get a complete picture on how much I'd actually have to spend for an LPH-50 setup, because the spray gun itself isn't very expensive for what it is.
It won't work. The LPH-50 requires 50 lpm or 1.8 CFm air flow at 13 psi to work properly. This is an issue with HVLP(High Volume Low Pressure) guns. Most airbrush compressors are designed to put out higher pressures but often don't have the flow rates to keep up with tools that use a lot of air. This gun will not run with any standard airbrush compressor!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

SteveNoble wrote:As model makers do we really need something as large as the LPH-50? to me that's more a mini spray gun set up, which needs a far more powerful compressor to run it smoothly. I would have thought that something of that size would be more suited to smart repairers working on 1:1 vehicles? Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but it seems overkill for the 1/24th and 1/20th models I build..

Steve, it is not about that size. It's about how it works. If you look at Paul Budzik's video mentioned in a prior post, it is not much larger than the standard airbrush if you take off the large paint cup. In point of fact, I don't use the large paint cup. There is an adapter for the standard siphon feed airbrush bottles which I find much more convenient. I actually store the paint in them with a sealed cap and can use them at a moments notice.

As to how it works, it uses much less pressure and has a much more even spray fan than most airbrushes. This reduces overspray by a lot which reduces the mess and wasted paint. With three tips you can vary the maximum size of the fan quite effectively. The 4mm tip gives you about as much coverage as a large airbrush. I bought it with all three tips. I use the medium sized one for 1:12 bodies and other large items, but most of the time I use the 4mm. Now to be fair, it won't do really fine work like shading and getting different tones on things like motorcycle exhausts. You need to have a good airbrush around for that. If you only had one brush this would not be the one I would choose, however if you can afford two this would be my choice for a second brush.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

PeteJ wrote:
SebLeung wrote:I haven't heard of mini spray guns until I saw this thread. I've been looking to buy a new airbrush soon but the LPH-50 really appeals to me. What kind of compressor is needed for this though? I'm currently using this for an Iwata NEO:

It won't work. The LPH-50 requires 50 lpm or 1.8 CFm air flow at 13 psi to work properly. This is an issue with HVLP(High Volume Low Pressure) guns. Most airbrush compressors are designed to put out higher pressures but often don't have the flow rates to keep up with tools that use a lot of air. This gun will not run with any standard airbrush compressor!
Yes I know it wouldn't work, I'm just looking for an example of a compressor that would work. If you have any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate that.
SteveNoble wrote:As model makers do we really need something as large as the LPH-50? to me that's more a mini spray gun set up, which needs a far more powerful compressor to run it smoothly. I would have thought that something of that size would be more suited to smart repairers working on 1:1 vehicles? Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but it seems overkill for the 1/24th and 1/20th models I build..
I'm personally interested in the one with a 0.4mm needle (LPH50-042G) which supposedly has a pattern width of 1.6in. I've been struggling with over-spray especially with primers on 1/20 bodies using a 0.35mm airbrush. I like the coverage of spray cans for bodies but I hate the lack of control and the fact that you're restricted to certain paints.
http://www.f1modelling.com

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

I had Revell Profi IDB 700 and Badger 150 (nearly the same, exchange of Parts is always possible) in the Past. Had allways Problems with nearly all colors with drop formation at the nozzle, color speckles on the Modell f.e. etc... then I bought a Harder & Steen Beck Evolution II. I must say Revell and Badger was not the best choice for me in painting results. The H&S fits to all facts you are looking for. And in my case my problems with drops and speckles ware away. Cleaning is even faster because you have easier Parts. (I allways diasmantle the hole gun and clean it petty after each paint) Time difference ~10 minutes

Marcel