Another "What Airbrush to buy" question thread

Ask away....

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Re: Another "What Airbrush to buy" question thread

Post by jmpsebring »

I've got 5 dual-action brushes off of ebay for about $20 each. They work perfectly. I use a couple for colors, one for clear and one for metallics. Look up finger nail art on ebay. I know it's hard to believe, but you don't need to spend big money to spray something.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

I have learned so much from watching these videos. I bought an Iwata LPH-50 based on his recommendation. It has made a huge difference in my paint experiance. I realized that for much of what we paint, especially bodies, an airbrush is not the correct tool. I addition to providing a superior paint finish, it takes much less time to paint large areas such as a body. He has several videos on painting which are fantastic. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ytYfMhrvU&t=1s
Michael Chriss

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I'm using a Tamiya HG wide trigger airbrush for many years. Sprays fantastic and no reliability issues whatsoever. Really is a great brush with solid build quality. I believe they are made for Tamiya by Iwata. Should also suit your budget, well worth a look in my opinion...
Steve Noble

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

M.Chriss wrote:I have learned so much from watching these videos. I bought an Iwata LPH-50 based on his recommendation. It has made a huge difference in my paint experiance. I realized that for much of what we paint, especially bodies, an airbrush is not the correct tool. I addition to providing a superior paint finish, it takes much less time to paint large areas such as a body. He has several videos on painting which are fantastic. Check it out!

Thats what I have the Iwata G5 for, thats what I use for bodies and other large parts. I didn't realize they had less expensive versions though! Now you have me thinking of getting this for clear coats and a less expensive replacement for the smaller parts.
jmpsebring wrote:I've got 5 dual-action brushes off of ebay for about $20 each. They work perfectly. I use a couple for colors, one for clear and one for metallics. Look up finger nail art on ebay. I know it's hard to believe, but you don't need to spend big money to spray something.
Can you link the seller? I remember you posting before about them but I couldn't find them with any combination of spaces for the word. The one I bought on eBay was definitely not a great airbrush as I mentioned in the OP, but I'm willing to give it another shot. The biggest problem is that the gravity feed section has a large indentation that makes cleaning a huge pain compared to my Iwata.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

stubeck wrote: Can you link the seller? I remember you posting before about them but I couldn't find them with any combination of spaces for the word.
I searched for "airbrush nail" and the third item was "Dual Action Airbrush Gun 0.3mm Nail Art Paint Spray Makeup Gravity Feed Hobby" for US$14.95.

Probably worth mentioning that you can find used Paasche, Thayer & Chandler, and other well known brands for anywhere from $15 on up.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Noddy wrote:
stubeck wrote: Can you link the seller? I remember you posting before about them but I couldn't find them with any combination of spaces for the word.
I searched for "airbrush nail" and the third item was "Dual Action Airbrush Gun 0.3mm Nail Art Paint Spray Makeup Gravity Feed Hobby" for US$14.95.

Probably worth mentioning that you can find used Paasche, Thayer & Chandler, and other well known brands for anywhere from $15 on up.
Gotcha, I was literally searching for the seller you mentioned. Thats similar to the one I bought and ran into some issues with, but it could be I got the knockoff version too.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

It is just above your price range(the basic gun can be had for about $299) but have you considered an Iwata LPH-50 with a .4 mm tip? You already have a G5 that you have experience with. The LPH-50 is a High volume low pressure gun which significantly reduces overspray and runs at a tip pressure of about 10-13 PSI. You can also get an attachment for a few bucks that converts it from the large side feed cup to the standard airbrush bottles for quick change. It will do fine work with the .4 mm tip and needle. I bought mine with all three tips and needles so I can spray just about anything I want. I also like the adjustable fan. Because of its size it is highly unlikely that you will drop it. Very robust and adaptable mini gun.

I bought mine several years ago after seeing Craig Frazier doing automotive murals with it instead of the standard airbrush. Oh, and as you know from your G5, it is a heck of a lot easier to clean and much more robust.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

M.Chriss wrote:I have learned so much from watching these videos. I bought an Iwata LPH-50 based on his recommendation. It has made a huge difference in my paint experiance. I realized that for much of what we paint, especially bodies, an airbrush is not the correct tool. I addition to providing a superior paint finish, it takes much less time to paint large areas such as a body. He has several videos on painting which are fantastic. Check it out!

Watch these videos and do this. I bought a similar spray gun, forget the model but it is Iwata, I have not yet used it on a car but i am getting far superior spray results with this. Been using it especially for primer or airplane and sci fy subjects. I plan to try it on a car soon but It is much better to have a good solid fan pattern.

I bought mine used on ebay for around 250.00 as these iwata spray guns are a bit more new.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

PeteJ wrote:(the basic gun can be had for about $299) but have you considered an Iwata LPH-50 with a .4 mm tip?
Always buy Iwata airbrushes direct from Japan. The LPH-50 is under $200 from Japan.
Je ne regrette rien.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

MoFo wrote:
PeteJ wrote:(the basic gun can be had for about $299) but have you considered an Iwata LPH-50 with a .4 mm tip?
Always buy Iwata airbrushes direct from Japan. The LPH-50 is under $200 from Japan.
Can you recommend a reliable and easy-to-deal with source?