M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Another "What Airbrush to buy" question thread

Post by M.Chriss »

I purchased a Craftsman compressor for around $100 about 30 years ago, similar to this one. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55126 ... way&sr=8-4. It has a six gallon tank and moves more than enough air for my LPH-50. I've also used it to pump up tires and balls, and blow dust out of things. It has lasted me this long probably because I take care of it and don't use it much. I added a regulator and a water trap to it. Paul's video is so helpful in setting it up and using it. I can't recommend his videos enough.

This an example of what my LPH-50 does. This is with no polishing or sanding, 2K clear with Mr. leveling thinner. I have other airbrushes, one is a Tamiya trigger type made by Iwata, very nice airbrush, but I can not get these kind of results painting bodies. Right tool for the job. I use the Tamiya for smaller parts, where the LPH-50 is overkill.

Michael Chriss

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

a compressor with with 2 bar and a 1 US Gallon (4 litre) tank is just enough for airbrushing. But be sure it is quite!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I also got a Grex Tritium TG3 this past year and I love it! My airbrushing is up considerably because of it - still not a master at it, but I am getting better with each use. I no longer consider myself a 'rattle can man'. I still buy them and I still use them, but sometimes I find myself decanting them and shooting them through the Grex.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

SebLeung wrote:I haven't heard of mini spray guns until I saw this thread. I've been looking to buy a new airbrush soon but the LPH-50 really appeals to me. What kind of compressor is needed for this though? I'm currently using this for an Iwata NEO:

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressor-Airbru ... hen&sr=1-3

Just trying to get a complete picture on how much I'd actually have to spend for an LPH-50 setup, because the spray gun itself isn't very expensive for what it is.
For what its worth, I have an Iwata Sprint Jet that seems to have similar specs and am able to use the G5 with it. I'm sure I'd get more out of a bigger compressor but for the moment this works.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Yes I know it wouldn't work, I'm just looking for an example of a compressor that would work. If you have any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate that.

I'm personally interested in the one with a 0.4mm needle (LPH50-042G) which supposedly has a pattern width of 1.6in. I've been struggling with over-spray especially with primers on 1/20 bodies using a 0.35mm airbrush. I like the coverage of spray cans for bodies but I hate the lack of control and the fact that you're restricted to certain paints.[/quote]

Like M. Chriss I have a Craftsman pancake compressor. It is one of their "Professional" black series. I added an additional air reservoir to it some time ago but I use it for a lot of things besides painting. At 13 psi, it's output is far above the 1.8 required by the brush. I went to the Sears web site and the one I have isn't available anymore. This is the closest. https://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-gallo ... ?rrec=true

When I worked at Sears(retired 5 years ago) their compressors were made by DeVilbiss, who makes a lot of the proprietary brands. Getting one of their proprietary ones for $100 or less isn't hard. Just google "DeVilbiss pancake compressor". They make porter cable, campbell hausfeld, Dewalt, Bostick and many others. A few minutes on the web and you will see a lot of identical compressors with differant names and paint jobs.

Just a word of warning. Most of these are made in the USA and although they have changed the plastic shroud, the compressor is pretty much unchanged for 20 or more years. The have been on construction sites for years. There are cheaper Chinese knockoffs at harbor freight, but they don't last. Spend a little more on the name brands and it will serve you well for many years.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Go with a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution 2 in 1 silverline. Best brush i have ever used. I have 4 of those and use them all the time.
Best regards,
Lesley