Tamiya Ferrari 312T4

Ask away....

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Tamiya Ferrari 312T4

Post by Fiatphile »

robrex wrote:took me ages to find as it was 10 years ago now...wow time flies!!

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... rex#p89349
Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. your are a Master Builder. Went thru the complete thread, but failed to see the method for how you constructed the mesh caps. But further down another reply was made about nylon tea bags....is this how you did them. Thanks so much for sharing and I will now search for any other of your threads here.
Cheers
Rick :D
I feel the need for speed.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Grypham wrote:Just an idea for intake mesh with the nylon look .... though I have yet to try it myself. Over the winter, while feeling under the weather, I was on a tea drinking binge. I noticed that a lot of the fancier varieties used a nylon like mesh to form the bags. The mesh I came across varied from coarse to very fine, suitable for different scales, and also in different stiffness of the material.

I'm not sure what some of them are actually made from, but some (pyramid shaped Tetley bags for example) seem to actually be nylon, and have that perfect white hue. Just add some plastic-card strips for the bracing, and to help form the mesh?
Duh, I know about this and it never occurred to me to use that. You are a smart cookie, and I am now preparing to go to Publix and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip. That is one of the things I love about this Forum, the willingness to share and glean ideas.
Again, thank you both for your help.
Rick :D

BeeJay
F3
F3

Post by BeeJay »

Fiatphile wrote:I have put together some goodies to build a 1979 Season 312T4. I have read the Spotted Section on the site and as best as I can determine as kitted by Tamiya, the 1 July 1979 French GP driven by Gilles Villeneuve is the most doable w/the kit as it is w/o major mods. Now here is one of those areas I am not sure of. Rear Wing End Plates....Natural Metal inside or black inside, red outside? Also have figured/read all black seat, but was this a fiber glass shell or covered? Also, does the upper inside body shell/driver area, was this painted white or left red? Another question, from what photos I have seen of the coating applied to the engine/tranny......what is the best way to duplicate this? I find it hard to see aluminum+orange representing this coating, when it appears more a golden tint, that looks flushed and more toward flat aluminum. Trumpets, I know brass wire mesh is not correct, from photos I have seen they appear almost like translucent white plastic and others almost a tan/white? Any hints would help.
Rick 8)

Just been reading all this interesting information about the T4
Thanks guys, its been very helpful..

robrex
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by robrex »

Sorry guys try this one for the how to..

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... ight=312T3

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

robrex wrote:Sorry guys try this one for the how to..

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... ight=312T3
Chief, I read the whole thread and saw numerous questions on how to produce the trumpet screens, but for the life of me, I never found the answer! I did find the Facebook link, but alas, it did not divulge that information either? You sir have mad skills and I would like to know the method, but do not wish to badger you for it. Thanks for sharing and please feel to comment oft.
Rick 8)

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

BeeJay wrote:
Fiatphile wrote:I have put together some goodies to build a 1979 Season 312T4. I have read the Spotted Section on the site and as best as I can determine as kitted by Tamiya, the 1 July 1979 French GP driven by Gilles Villeneuve is the most doable w/the kit as it is w/o major mods. Now here is one of those areas I am not sure of. Rear Wing End Plates....Natural Metal inside or black inside, red outside? Also have figured/read all black seat, but was this a fiber glass shell or covered? Also, does the upper inside body shell/driver area, was this painted white or left red? Another question, from what photos I have seen of the coating applied to the engine/tranny......what is the best way to duplicate this? I find it hard to see aluminum+orange representing this coating, when it appears more a golden tint, that looks flushed and more toward flat aluminum. Trumpets, I know brass wire mesh is not correct, from photos I have seen they appear almost like translucent white plastic and others almost a tan/white? Any hints would help.
Rick 8)

Just been reading all this interesting information about the T4
Thanks guys, its been very helpful..
You working on one? :?:
Rick

robrex
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by robrex »

Hey guys, my apologies. Trying to post links from my phone isn’t ideal. It’s been about 10 years since the 312T’s I built but I FINALY found the ‘how-to’ thread. Here is the link:
(my camera skills weren’t too crash hot then or now but should be enough to get the idea :lol: )

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=552104

BeeJay
F3
F3

Post by BeeJay »

Hi Rick, yes- built one several years ago when first released, didn't have the information and photos available then that we do have now.
Also my modelling skills have improved gradually over the years with several models.
Well, that's what I tell my self.
I have other models I have collected over the years - but I always come back to the T4.
So yes, I am going to build another and have my first T4 to have as a comparison to how I have improved over the years.
Barry

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

BeeJay wrote:Hi Rick, yes- built one several years ago when first released, didn't have the information and photos available then that we do have now.
Also my modelling skills have improved gradually over the years with several models.
Well, that's what I tell my self.
I have other models I have collected over the years - but I always come back to the T4.
So yes, I am going to build another and have my first T4 to have as a comparison to how I have improved over the years.
Barry
I shall watch for your thread. I have been modeling many, many moons, and am still improving. Will admit, the aftermarket parts have made modeler's lazy. Cutting edge back in the day was Vac-u-form with parts from the scrape box. Now you can produce a museum piece from aftermarket parts. I built my 1st F1 in 1975 while stationed in Germany. Have been trying to build them ever since. In those days, was concerned more with neat gluing and getting the decals on w/just water! But we move on and forward, so now I buy kits over priced, all the after market available, replace the decals, purchase high grade lacquer paint as close to the color one can get, then get board with all the detail half way thru! :shock:
The worst thing that can happen too you, perfection! Will drive one nuts. So now, I add a little, built and admire. I no longer count rivets and stress over is the paint the exact shade. I leave that to the perfectionist. :D
So get too building that thing and let us see.
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

robrex wrote:Hey guys, my apologies. Trying to post links from my phone isn’t ideal. It’s been about 10 years since the 312T’s I built but I FINALY found the ‘how-to’ thread. Here is the link:
(my camera skills weren’t too crash hot then or now but should be enough to get the idea :lol: )

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=552104
:shock: :shock: :shock: Genius. As the Borg said, resistance is futile. I shall give your approach on the screens a go. Thanks for sharing. I do want to make a observation, I believe the plastic fag screens (that's British for Cigarette ashes), is correct for 312B2 and on up the food chain, those before do appear to be made of wire mesh. Again my 2 cents :shock: .
Rick