Carbon fiber decals

Ask away....

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Carbon fiber decals

Post by cooperclimax1 »

In 1/20th scale which cf decals would be recommended ?

Coop

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Carbon fiber decals

Post by stubeck »

Scale Motorsport has some great options, but while they look great they can sometimes be a bit out of scale. I'm using their "template" decals for the Williams FW24 and am pretty unimpressed with the template, but its also nearly a 20 year old set.

Studio 27 makes templated sheets for kits which are pretty good but hard to conform to the sheet.

I don't have experience with any other brands

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

I use carbon decals from Scaleproduction. They are very good. They conform very well in corners and react very good to Microscale Sol. They have only one option, but theone they have works excellent for 1/24 and 1/20th scale.
Best regards,
Lesley

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I got a good selection of Tamiya C/F decals from Hiroboy last year. Not template but they conform well to awkward shapes, sit down nicely and pattern looks great. Very impressed.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

daveyman wrote:I got a good selection of Tamiya C/F decals from Hiroboy last year. Not template but they conform well to awkward shapes, sit down nicely and pattern looks great. Very impressed.
Good to know, I have also bought a sheet of their c/f, but haven't got around to use it yet.

I am no carbon fiber decals expert, but since I have heard so many modelers saying that most of the time the texture is out of scale, what about using 1/43 scale c/f decals for 1/20?
I guess it will be hard to see any carbon at all but at least will be more similar to the real stuff.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I use Scalemotorsport carbon 1:24 for 1:20 models, 1:20 is sometimes good for 1:12. Scaleproduction is a good source for 1:20, Pit wall carbon decals too.
Take a stand!

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

daveyman wrote:I got a good selection of Tamiya C/F decals from Hiroboy last year. Not template but they conform well to awkward shapes, sit down nicely and pattern looks great. Very impressed.
I've converted from SMS to Tamiya CF decals recently. They work pretty much same way. Good patterns, reasonable scale effect and 4 different patterns are available.
Enjoyed working with them and they are easier to get for me from usual suppliers like HLJ.com. IMHO, you decided on which size to use based on reference photos.
Modern cars can have many different patterns used in different places on the same single car. So, I decided which size of CF to use based on my references. I make
my own templates, btw.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Corpsegrinder wrote:
Good to know, I have also bought a sheet of their c/f, but haven't got around to use it yet.

I am no carbon fiber decals expert, but since I have heard so many modelers saying that most of the time the texture is out of scale, what about using 1/43 scale c/f decals for 1/20?
I guess it will be hard to see any carbon at all but at least will be more similar to the real stuff.
1/43rd would be too small, but 1/24th is much closer to correct much of the time.