Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Zakspeed 891 seat photo

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Has anyone a photo of cockpit/seat of the Zakspeed 891 taken during the '89 season and not of a restored car of these days?
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Zakspeed 891 seat photo

Post by martinpesce »

This car is covered in one of the F1 modeling magazines. I quickly checked my copy, there are only distant shots that could help you work out the seat colour/texture. Please pm me your email address if you’re interested.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Thanks Martin. PM sent.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

The seat was black, covered with wild leather like we call it Alcantara and the seatbelt was a red Sabelt one.
Take a stand!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Do you have pictures of the black seat?
So far I have only seen pictures that indicate the seat was white...

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

All the photos I have seen have a white seat or a red seat (in Monaco).
So I asked directly Bernd Schneider, after a couple of weeks he came back with this answer:

"I think the seat was black but the spare seat was red, I don’t think I ever had a white seat"

Shame that online I only see pictures of his car with a white seat, that's why Hasegawa tells to paint the seat in white.
If no one can confirm the black seat (Bernd might have forgotten, maybe it was really white color?) I might go and paint it red, as in the spare car!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Steffen_T wrote:Do you have pictures of the black seat?
So far I have only seen pictures that indicate the seat was white...
I only have the press picture (timeperiod) which shows barely the upper edge of the seat, picture is online too. Huge problem is that there is not much around of this car on internet, but i had a talk a couple of years ago with Peter Zakowski, son of Erich, and he told me that they did not change anything on the car at Sinsheim Museum, so maybe this one is a correct car.
The white and red "seat" have been used at Monaco like you pointed out right, Hungary white and some other races too, but there are several races where you miss that "high upgoing" seat and i personaly don`t believe it is a seat, seems to me more like additional pads or even a foamcover for the seat to give both drivers a more comfortable seat position. Cars in the 80ths and early 90ths had very often one seat size and the only attached foam pads and stripes to the seat to make it more comfortable for the driver. The black seat is sitting much deeper then the ones with the white or red covers,even the first picture you posted you can see that the white cover is not realy attached to the car, it`s more laying on top, but as said, not much pics around and none from top with the bare seat and cockpit.
Take a stand!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Finaly i found a video tour at Zakspeed headquarter where Peter is presenting lots of their cars, start watching at 15min and 20sec, short overview of the bare seat sitting deep in the car, black covered. Interesting is the inner part of the stearing wheel in blue, never seen any pic of the stearing wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMxlJBZd2KA
Take a stand!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I think you are right with the assumption of a foamcover being used.
Unfortunately the seat of the Hasegawa kit seems to represent the seat with the foamcover attached. :(
I have several german Motorracing Magazines at home and will take a look during the weekend. They usually had close connections to ATS, Rial and Zakspeed.
Currently I would think the best way to do the seat is to do it according to the Hasegawa instruction with a semi gloss clearcoat and seatbelts being added. The decal attached to the seat indicates Hasegawa had a good reference while developing the kit. You won't add such a decal without a reason...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I've just found high shots of the car at Monaco and Schneider had red padding at the back of his shoulders and Suzuki had white padding if that helps at all.