Ask away....

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Re: Conversion of Protar MP4/2C into MP4/2B '85

Post by PJE »

As I said, I was able to enlarge some drawing I had of the MP4/2B and it looked pretty close to me. I’m sure there are areas of the body that could be tweaked, but at some point you run into the fact of diminishing returns. In comparing it with my Studio 27 kit, the lines and proportions look quite close. I don’t have a Studio 27 2C, but I do have their MP4/2 kit and I can see differences between the two bodies, especially at the rear of the side pods.

Paul Erlendson

IMG_3241a.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3242a.jpg

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I think that looks pretty close to the smaller kit.
Always loved the Lauda WC car with the Porsche engine.

great thread!
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I gotta believe there is far amount of kits still out there un built.

Having said that I would love it at the minimum new brakes and wheels are provided for this kit.

Steve

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well, I found some notes and I also updated some measures by checking twice (Yes, like Santa!!! :lol: ) which were naughty and nice...

Well, in no particular order...
-There's NO SHORTENING of sidepods from 1984 to 1986. I mean, asuming also equal wheelbases, they start as far back from front wheels in all '84, '85, and '86 cars.
-The sidepod in whole is the same in 1985 and 1986. Same.... all. Yu could suspect that from the fact that the extensions n the radiator outlets are add-ons, but it's checked. Surely those add-ons are the only difference. That said, you have the turbo inlet that disappears. But that does not affect overall shape.
-That shape is well portraited on the Protar model, but for two details I'll mention later. The curved, straight, and then the narrowing sections have the proper lengths.
-The shape of the triangular set of gills at the back did not vary thru MP4/2 history: same for 84,85, 86. They are spot on as Protar did them. Meanwhile, S27 (as seen on Paul's pic) are small ad much too forward.
-The undertray, of uniform thickness in 1984 has a thicker front section (all the length that is under the straight part of sidepod) and somehow, Protar made it as an intermediate. Sand it and ypu'll get the '84 version, add some 1mm and ypu get the correct 85 86 size.
-And now the corrections: Sidepods top surface at the point where the curved section ends (over radiator exit) lacks dramatically in heigth. It's a good 5mm too low (!!!). From that point backwards, everything's OK: overall heigth and the split between the detachable part and fixed side panels. But that "arch" should be 65mm tall instead of 60. It's OK at the front, so it's that the rised curve should be steeper.
-Then the width of sidepod inlets, in the horizontal sense should be 99mm, so wider than it is.

As a 1984 car note sidpods should be a bit longer at the rear, some 4 or 5mm. That means that the inclined vertical panel should be positioned 5mm more backwards.
More tomorrow, supper time now!
BR
James

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK guys not sure if it's the proper place, but I can say I already have the mould for the MP4/2 wheels. Nice new tyres.
S all interested may start PM'ing me fr details. Some I will PM you :D
BTW you can thank the great Paul PJE for contributing with a really nice front rim that I adopted since it was better than mine.