Brabham BT59 quandry

Ask away....

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Brabham BT59 quandry

Post by keithwwalker »

Roll Out Models made two 1/20 versions of the Brabham BT59 - one with Judd V8 and another with Yamaha V12.
As a result of the engine change, the rear bodywork of the V12 is very different than the Judd V8 version. The rest seem similar.
Of course I missed the boat and I don't think I will be able to find the Rollout Judd BT59 version.
I considered the Yamaha version which Michel Rost had for sale, but it would take major surgery to get back to the Judd version.

So the question is, how to best kitbash a 1/20 BT59. (I can be sure that MFH won't be releasing a 1/12 version soon, lol.)
I was able to purchase a spare BT59 Judd decal sheet from Raccoon, so there's that.

S27 makes a BT58, but the shapes are wrong front and rear, even though Sergio Rinland had a hand in designing both the BT58 and BT59
Tamiya's Leyton House CG901 has a similar engine cover/airbox section.

Any advice would be appreciated. Of course, if anyone has a RollOut BT59 for sale and would like to save me some time....

BT59 Judd V8

Leyton House CG901

BT58

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Brabham BT59 quandry

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Seams to me a no brainer, start with the Yamaha version and remove resin until you achieve the desired shape. Seams a hell of a lot easier then using a plastic kit that will undoubtedly end up with holes through it before the shape can be corrected. :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I agree with Derek. Do some reworking of the Yamaha car, remove resin, add filler etc.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

+1
Resin is noble in the sense of "you may carve till you find the shape" as Michellangello.
If there was a plastic kit of the "similar", but te candidates are way different.
Take the MTR one, and go for it. Oh, well, take two!

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

Of course, Michel may not have the kit anymore (I will check), but also the S27 BT58 kit is $100 less and the side pods look close, and the front and rear wings seem identical to the later car.

Jeff_G
F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

I did a search almost daily on Yahoo Japan auctions until I found the Rollout BT59, as well as an AMD B190. Took about a year to get both. If you're patient, you can find one.

My kitbashing and conversions will be saved for other 1990 cars like the Minardi and Arrows.

Jeff_G
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

@Jeff_G,

Thanks so much for posting that auction, I won it! It must of been relisted a few times...
I don't check the forum too much, so it was by chance that I went to the new posts and saw it!
Now the issue is that Japan is only doing seamail for its packages, no EMS. I can wait...

Keith

Jeff_G
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

keithwwalker wrote:@Jeff_G,

Thanks so much for posting that auction, I won it! It must of been relisted a few times...
I don't check the forum too much, so it was by chance that I went to the new posts and saw it!
Now the issue is that Japan is only doing seamail for its packages, no EMS. I can wait...

Keith
That's awesome!! It is a really nice kit. Now the race is on to see which one of us finishes it first!

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

FYI, Raccoon shop still have at least one spare decal for the BT59.
btw, Roll On Models website is still up, it would be good to archive the information there not just on the BT59, but on all the great kits he did through the years.
https://rollout.blog.ss-blog.jp/search/?keyword=bt59