Halfords clear Lacquer/ Zero Paints problem.

Ask away....

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Re: Halfords clear Lacquer/ Zero Paints problem.

Post by KB78 »

Hello!

Many thanks for your quick replies!
The Body of FW15C is already painted in "Rothmans blue", I painted my Fujimi FW14B in FW14B blue and it just looks wrong, I'm much, much happier with my 15C in Rothmans Blue. The problem I have is that the Rear Wing end plates have not been painted so I need just a little Rothmans Blue to finish these off.
Secondly I sealed the 15C paint (using my old bottle of Rothmans Blue) with a quick mist of Halfords Lacquer (without any problems) before I added the Decals, now I need to add a final Coat over the Decals so I REALLY don't want to start mixing different types and brands of Lacquers!
So to finish it all off I need to prove that the old Rothmans Blue is good (does not react) before I'll let Lacquer anywhere near! The Bodywork.

Any help and replies gratefully received!

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi everyone,

A bit of an update (yes, I'm still having the same problem).

I tried just about every combination that I could think of and the Rothmans Blue was still "washing away" (Both Zero & Gravity Paints). So now I want to experiment with Zero's pre-thinned Lacquer AND Mr Super Clear UV cut Gloss.

Before I do this I have some questions.

I read that when applied over Decals, Mr Super Clear UV cut Gloss attacks & destroys them, has anyone any experience of this? If so, How can this be avoided (if at all)?

Secondly, should I apply a mist Coat (with both the Zero & Mr Super clear) to the Model before applying the Decals & then a full one/two over the top? The reason I ask is that some Lacquers appear to "move around" & distort Decals as they do so.

I haven't built anything in about 16 Months because I've hit a total, complete brick wall with my Lacquer problems.

I'm now at the point of just wanting a solution that won't damage or destroy any more Kits, that I don't have to experiment with and that just WORKS! Any and all help or recommendations are greatly, greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

KB.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I think both of the clears you mention will destroy the decals if applied over the top of them.?? The only clear coats that I've personally used and were great over decals were Zero 2k and Mr Hobby Top Coat. The top coat doesn't shine nearly as nicely as the Zero 2k, but it's far less toxic..
Steve Noble