FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Lightbox in the Sun

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

I took my light box (the one that's really too small with bedsheets for filters) out into the sun for the first time (instead of using light bulbs in the garage), to take another shot of my Tamiya 1/20 Williams FW-11B (built in 1996).

I pre-set the color balance, took a few shots in natural light, and they were quite dark. So, I set the color balance back to "Auto", and shot with my Speedlight on the hot shoe. I stopped the lens down to f32 to get wide depth-of-field, and focused manually front, back, and middle.

The exposure looks good to me, with good detail in the shadows and the whites not blown out. It's not "popping" off the page, but I'm happy with the set-up.

OK, now... what do you think? :D

Cheers,
Greg
Attachments
williams in sun.JPG
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Re: Lightbox in the Sun

Post by Tiffoc »

Very nice result Greg...

Is that the only one you took, or is there more???

If there is, Post!!!
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Thanks Tiffoc - do you mean more, as in Ferrari pictures? :lol:

Actually, seriously, Thanks. No, I didn't have much time - and the sun was going in and out, so I fiddled with the Ferrari 643 wing, ran outside, shot, ran back in.... etc.

Will shoot more soon. The Williams is my "test mule" (it's the only built 1/20 F1 car I have after the window fell on my MP4-8 and pulverized it :( ).

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Looks great..!!! I think that you should try the same shot with a darker coloured background. I just feel it might look better on a darker background because the car has a lot of white colour in the paint scheme. What do you think.??
Steve Noble

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

vanhookvintage wrote:Thanks Tiffoc - do you mean more, as in Ferrari pictures? :lol:

Cheers,
Greg

Ohhh Greg!!! I really expected more from you (( :lol: ))

Well!!! as your the one who mentioned It, did you???

I wanted to see more of the Williams, but I'll except FERRARI pics anyday!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tiffoc on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

SteveNoble wrote:Looks great..!!! I think that you should try the same shot with a darker coloured background. I just feel it might look better on a darker background because the car has a lot of white colour in the paint scheme. What do you think.??

Yeah!!! I can go with that, good idea Steve... :wink:
Do it on various different coloured backgrounds Greg, to get a variety to choose from, what looks the best :D
Michael Schumacher

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Hmm, looks nice, Greg. There's probably a million other things you could do / tweak / change. But you've satisfied a guy with nil camera knowledge like me. Much better than any 1/20 car I've ever photographed. Everything's in focus, sharp.

Sorry to hear about your MP4/8 being pulverized...
Chris

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

This is the only photo I have of the MP4/8. Scanned from a print of a photo I took playing around with shooting models in 1997 (film!). No light box, just some reflective background paper in the sun.

And, Yes, I like the idea of a different color for the Williams. I got a sheet of blue when I got the white, just need to trim it to fit the box.

1/20 Ferraris in the stash are Tamiya F2001 and Fujimi F2007. Someday. Someday. :D
Attachments
MP4 8 resize.jpg