FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Light Box Test Shots

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

Well, I built a light box this evening, and below are some test shots of my 1/43 Tameo WCT 63 Lotus 25 that I built in 1996. Anyway, I think I have some work to do on my photography, because it doesn't look all that much better than my bare bulb pix.

It's a cardboard box with a white bed sheet cut out and taped on. Nikon D70 w/ 18 - 55 DX lens. The bulbs are halogen, and the white balance on the camera was set on "incandescent". I'm using ISO 200 and aperture priority mode at f16. Shutter speeds were slow, so of course I'm using the tripod and shutter remote.

I'm not sure what it is, but my deeper tones are just too dark and lack detail. Ansel Adams would not be happy (yes, I'm an old Zone System hippy, but you can't tell it from my photography these days). I used a program called Photoscape to brighten the shadows just so I could post these shots.

I know this isn't a photography forum, but I see such nice photography here, and other than advising me to dust off the acrylic base before shooting, I would appreciate suggestions.

Cheers,
Greg
Attachments
light box test 4.JPG
light box test 1.JPG
light box test 2.JPG
light box test 3.JPG
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Re: Light Box Test Shots

Post by Terry »

Greg, these photo's are much clearer than the Ferrari update the other day. I'm not familiar with your camera and all it's various settings, but it's always going to be a trade off exposing more detail in shadows versus washing out the colours in light. Something I'd like to see as a point of reference is the same Lotus 25 shot in daylight (overcast and direct sunlight) to see how the shadows and colours come out. This will give an interesting point of reference against the lightbox shots, but it appears your ambient light level needs to be higher for the light box, or in the words of Tim the Toolman Taylor.... "MORE POWER" :idea: :idea:

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

As former user of D70 camera, I can offer couple of suggestions:

- use pre-set white balance more. dust off your manual and read how to set up WB specifically for you lighbox
- overexpose your images. I go number of steps over the exposure suggested by camera
- use manual mode, set aperture to range of 1/13 to 1/16 and adjust exposure as mentioned above
- get lamps closer to the walls of the box

In any case you'll need to do number of test shots, before you came to settings which will produce images you want.
I think pre-set WB is the most important one, because without it, colours won't look right.

Btw, great job on your light box. Looks pretty neat. I think photos do look quite good already. But what do I know.

SeaBee
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by SeaBee »

lezdep has nailed a couple of things. WB being very important.

One thing I'd like to comment on is to maybe lower your light source - at the moment it seems to me as if all the light falls on the top of the model.

Also, shoot in RAW, it will make some colour adjustments afterwards remarkably easier.

That all said - much much improved. I have to go down the same route. Your box looks great! The only fault with that is that it's not standing in MY study! ;)

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

They look better than 75% of the photos here. I noticed that you are shooting a wide angle lens. If you have a telephoto it helps with the depth of field. Set the camera back a ways and zoom in. It will get rid of any distortion you get with a closeup lens. It is kind of counter intuitive but it works.

The smaller the f stop(large number) the smaller the aperture and the more depth of field you have but the longer the shutter is open. Tripod and bulb release is critical.

ditto on the white balance. I think your camera probably has a way to read a WB instead of using a preset. To use it you set up the light box. Get the best piece of white paper you have and fill the view finder with it. The camera will take that white and adjust everything accordingly.

Also get those lights as close to the defuser you are using without lighting it on fire. More light is good.

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

Yes, I know it's a car site, but I too would like a bit more discussion on the photography side of things. After all, that is one of the ways our work is stored.

However, I am no expert - I've been an keen amateur for nearly 40 years, but have never felt any need to do indoors (apart from the odd family shot).

The only pictures that I have posted on F1M were about a fortnight ago of my M23 and for these I decided to use my kitchen blinds to try and create a (very) big light box. That is I pulled the blinds (white roller blinds) fully down and allowed the sunlight to filter through. I then shot at a very high F number in RAW exposure time - 20 - 30 seconds.

The results were ok, but no more than OK - I have come to the conclusion that you need a minimum amount of light to get a reasonable result and that if the light is below this level, it doesn't matter how long you expose for, there will still be a certain 'something' missing.

Nevertheless I would say your results are good but (just like me) I can see why you want to improve. I suppose it's like all things in life - you have to learn new skills and techniques. I'm probably going to make myself a light box for the future.

BTW - Lotus looks great as well.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

Malcolm wrote:Yes, I know it's a car site, but I too would like a bit more discussion on the photography side of things. After all, that is one of the ways our work is stored.

However, I am no expert - I've been an keen amateur for nearly 40 years, but have never felt any need to do indoors (apart from the odd family shot).

The only pictures that I have posted on F1M were about a fortnight ago of my M23 and for these I decided to use my kitchen blinds to try and create a (very) big light box. That is I pulled the blinds (white roller blinds) fully down and allowed the sunlight to filter through. I then shot at a very high F number in RAW exposure time - 20 - 30 seconds.

The results were ok, but no more than OK - I have come to the conclusion that you need a minimum amount of light to get a reasonable result and that if the light is below this level, it doesn't matter how long you expose for, there will still be a certain 'something' missing.

Nevertheless I would say your results are good but (just like me) I can see why you want to improve. I suppose it's like all things in life - you have to learn new skills and techniques. I'm probably going to make myself a light box for the future.

BTW - Lotus looks great as well.

I would like to see a Section/Topic title added to the forum " Board Index " on Photography. As modellers we all like to show our builds off too their best...
Some of us are better than others, others are new to the art, some are professional experts. We can all help each other in that Board Topic...
I can say for posting pictures on forums, mobile phone's are a big no-no.

Greg,
Your pictures are not bad, but there are distractions, which do not help you concentrate on the subject. The harsh blackness of the base draw your eye away from the beautifully built subject, as do the reflections in the shine of the black base, also the shadows underneath the car and the dust. The base in this instance is not necessary, as your using the white sheet as the background. I agree with the statement, that your light source should be closer but also lower at the sides and rear. I also agree you should set your camera further back for these shots and use the zoom, unless your doing specific close up shots, cockpit, engine or wheel & brake detail etc...
One small tip Greg, I'd change the the sheet in your light box for plane white card, the creases in the sheet are also a distraction :wink:
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Here is what proper lighting and a some thought for setup can do. Now these are probably good enough to fool an expert but I think they show off the car well enough for example.

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Wow! I don't know where to start! Thanks so much for all of your comments and suggestions.

I definitely like the suggestions of starting a photography forum here, there seems to be a lot of interest. Is there a way to make a formal request for that to be set up?

Will get out the manual. I think I have the color balance (is that the right term?) set too "warm". And I didn't realize the pre-set white balance would be the one to use. Lots to think about.

My other lens is a 70 - 300, so I'give that a try. And my lighting was pretty haphazard.

PeteJ your photos are amazing. What's your technique? Looks like you use a fairly long focal length stopped down quite a bit for the whole-car shots.

OK thanks. I'll work on improvements and hopefully post some better shots.
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

I'm not sure if it's the right term to use, but a lot of photo programs have a white colour picker - normally an icon like an eye dropper. And if you have a reference white colour in the photo, you can use this tool to remove the colour cast (I hope that's the right phrase) - it's easier to use than to explain - just try it and you'll see.

+1 or 2 or 3 or whatever it is for the idea of a photo section to the forum